• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

to Anna (A Lynn)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You said that you were interested in having a cage with a play gym. I wanted to show you what I've done for Gigi. She spends a lot of time up there.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice but I cannot stand those Vision cages.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sure I will share my experience.

1. The vision cages are very flimsy once you manage to get them together. The wires are so thin they will bend easily.
2. The wires are held together in certain areas near the edges by a small plastic clip. I found that these clips often comes loose and the cage may fall apart if all the clips are lost.
3. When it comes to cleaning there is no tray to slide out to clean the bottom. You must lift the entire cage up except for the bottom and set it aside and then you can clean the bottom.
4. The tall Vision cages are very difficult to hang toys in from the cage top. My arm was not long enough to reach the top so I laid the cage in its side which did not work all that well either.

They are pretty to look out but not practical at all.
I ended up throwing the cage in a dumpster

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sure I will share my experience.

1. The vision cages are very flimsy once you manage to get them together. The wires are so thin they will bend easily.
2. The wires are held together in certain areas near the edges by a small plastic clip. I found that these clips often comes loose and the cage may fall apart if all the clips are lost.
3. When it comes to cleaning there is no tray to slide out to clean the bottom. You must lift the entire cage up except for the bottom and set it aside and then you can clean the bottom.
4. The tall Vision cages are very difficult to hang toys in from the cage top. My arm was not long enough to reach the top so I laid the cage in its side which did not work all that well either.

They are pretty to look out but not practical at all.
I ended up throwing the cage in a dumpster
Wow! #3 alone would be enough reason for me to dislike them.

A Lynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
You said that you were interested in having a cage with a play gym. I wanted to show you what I've done for Gigi. She spends a lot of time up there.
That looks great! Now I want to get some of those rope perches myself and do something similar! :)

A Lynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
I'm looking for some new toys/ideas. Are there any particular toys that Gigi likes?

Actually, I'll put that question out to everyone.....
What toys do you recommend for a Linnie?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi likes to manipulate her toys. She works to position her long toys over a perch, through the swing, on either side of the boing. She likes anything she can hang from. When she gets on top of her cage, the first thing she does is slide her hanging toy off the perch and drop it to the floor. I got her a new toy with leather knots and she is chewing on that. She really likes the bells at the end of her toys. I placed a crazy big order from Doctor's this week so she will lots to choose from soon. But she is wary of new things so I'll need to take it slowly.

How is your Charlie doing?

Last edited:

A Lynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
What a character GiGi is!!
Charlie has come out of her shell. She's become rather feisty! She has a bad habit now of going after the dogs tails. I really have to keep an eye on her when her cage is open. Other than that I can sit and she entertains me for hours. Such funny little parrots.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Anna!

Gigi has a ton of personality! So fun to watch. She's the star of the show with no other birds (or dogs) to compete with. :)

OMG about the dog's tails. What kind of dogs? I know that Gigi loves all the activity when my little grandkids are here. I've heard that most Linnies like dogs. Linnies seem to be a funny combo of being kind of reserved and open to everything.

Speaking of feisty. Gigi freaks out when I clean her droppings with a little piece of toilet paper. I may be near her or far, in which case she comes running. Then she kind of does a quiet click, click, click noise and then a single loud buzz/squeal and lunge. She also does that sometimes when I show her something new, like a toy. I quietly tell her what I'm planning to do, I do it slowly, but often she does this. In a way, I think she's just being a drama queen. Like she really isn't that upset. If I offer her a chance to bite the toilet paper, she will quickly but it seems to lose it's luster, because she immediately goes on about her activities. Does Charlie make any noise like I'm describing? How is she with new things?

How does Charlie come out of the cage? Does she step up from there? Does she step up outside the cage? If you touch her when she is on her cage, or in the cage, would she nip? I let Gigi come out on her own, I just open the door. She only stepped up from the cage for perhaps the first week I had her and then she would run away and if chased, would nip. Now I open the cage door, she scrambles out and gets as close as possible to me and then hangs there, stretching toward me. But she won't step up. I just wait for her to catapult herself out of the cage, onto my chair, my lap or the floor. Once away from the cage, she has a great step up and I can touch her feathers, not that she loves it, but it's fine. She does like it if tucked into a towel, then she just closes her eyes and lets me pet/preen her. Once out, she's happy to perch on my finger, hang out on my lap or wander around close to me, like along the top of the sofa. What is Charlie like? We kind of have our way figured out, but I wonder is these are typical Linnie behaviors.

I forgot to say that I can touch her beak when she is inside the cage with my hand inside or outside the cage. Also I can pet her forever when she is inside the cage hanging from bars and I am on the outside of the cage. Lots of rules for her.

What other birds have you had in the past?

Dona

Last edited:

A Lynn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
Hi Dona,
Sorry I didn't reply sooner!!

Charlie does do that buzz/squeal lunge too. We call it her temper-tantrum. LoL She mostly does it when we put her treats in the hanging cups. We think she doesn't like us to touch it??? Any hoo....she make us laugh.
Our dogs are Golden Retrievers, she goes after the fur on their tails. Wonder if this is an maturing thing? (Nesting season?) Or maybe she just likes the feel of it???
So many questions, LoL!!
Charlie does not like any hands in the cage!! So we open her "door" and she hops outs. Seems like we've settled on a routine where every morning she comes out and flies over to us. She hangs out on the back of the couch behind us and clicks.

We can't really touch her :( She will step up when we need her back in the cage or to pick her up from the floor, but that's about it. She doesn't seem to mind hanging out on our shoulder or lap though. Her favorite (and ours too) is that she LOVES videos of other Linnies. She gets so excited, scrambling out of her cage, flying over, jumping and crawling all over us, and talking back to the screen.

I grew up with birds, my dad loves them as well, so my first were parakeets then we had an aviary with finches. I had a conure when I got bit older. Then with my family we had the parakeets. if I recall, you've had many kinds of birds (?). Any favorites?

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
So cute! Nice job!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Dona,
Sorry I didn't reply sooner!!

Charlie does do that buzz/squeal lunge too. We call it her temper-tantrum. LoL She mostly does it when we put her treats in the hanging cups. We think she doesn't like us to touch it??? Any hoo....she make us laugh.
Our dogs are Golden Retrievers, she goes after the fur on their tails. Wonder if this is an maturing thing? (Nesting season?) Or maybe she just likes the feel of it???
So many questions, LoL!!
Charlie does not like any hands in the cage!! So we open her "door" and she hops outs. Seems like we've settled on a routine where every morning she comes out and flies over to us. She hangs out on the back of the couch behind us and clicks.

We can't really touch her :( She will step up when we need her back in the cage or to pick her up from the floor, but that's about it. She doesn't seem to mind hanging out on our shoulder or lap though. Her favorite (and ours too) is that she LOVES videos of other Linnies. She gets so excited, scrambling out of her cage, flying over, jumping and crawling all over us, and talking back to the screen.

I grew up with birds, my dad loves them as well, so my first were parakeets then we had an aviary with finches. I had a conure when I got bit older. Then with my family we had the parakeets. if I recall, you've had many kinds of birds (?). Any favorites?
So many questions from me! lol, thanks for the response. It's great to talk to other Linnie moms to see if things are going well. It sounds like Charlie and Gigi are very similar now. Gigi definitely doesn't like me to touch her cage and it's stuff. Except when I bring her food, then she's all about it. :) Love dogs. Goldens are such sweeties. I grew up with a collie. The touching thing is so funny. A little while ago I gave Gigi a shower, I afterwards did her neck preening, it's amazing that I can touch her all over. She will lay down and close her eyes. Then for a while I can continue to pet her. Then she apparently forgets it was me, because she objects later. So is Charlie fully flighted? I guess it might take a year for Gigi. She was clipped by breeder and now can just glide and hop to get places. Oh, about the bird videos! Gigi loves them too. But what's funny is she chimes in especially with Linnies but other birds too when they are making natural bird noises. Completely quiet when they are saying words. lol

Yes, I've had many, many birds over my lifetime. Everything from finches, canaries, cockatiels, budgies, mynahs, caiques, amazons and a green winged macaw. I'm not just saying this because she is on my shoulder right now, but Gigi is my favorite. She acts so like a big parrot, is freaking adorable, seems super smart, but isn't very noisy and can't hurt me when she bites. What a combo.