• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tirzah Enters Puberty

LindaD

Strolling the yard
Everett, Snohomish County, Washington, USA
Real Name
Linda Dockstader
Hi all! My Moustache baby Tirzah, Princess Cranky Pants, is now 9 1/2 months old. Her behavior has changed quite a bit. She is very moody. Her demeanor can change in a second for no obvious reason. She is getting very aggressive, especially in her cage. She lunges at me and tries to bite, with her eyes pinning. Tirzah has discovered her voice and she is getting LOUD. Plus she is definitely making nests - I have taken 2 down so far.

So I spent some time reading on this site and others and I think I know a few more things to do. I'll be removing anything she can shred, and adding more wood chew toys, adding more veggies and removing the nuts, etc.

She is perfectly fine about stepping up once outside of her cage, but she won't tolerate any attempt to get her to step up inside her cage, not even to a stick. And, of course, she cannot be touched! Do Not Touch Me! She is such a drama queen about it! :laugh:

From the looks of her she is either starting to molt or has been plucking a little bit. Nothing bad, just looking a little different. And if I'm not mistaken her lovely tail feathers are either missing or have gotten much shorter. :shy: I give her a spray bath every other week.

Interestingly, she is talking up a storm. Well, when she is not screaming. She practices her words in a very cute and endearing voice. :heart: But at this stage she is difficult to understand most of the time.

The other day I was in the bedroom with her in her cage, my dog curled up beside me. Tirzah was talking over and over but not clear enough for me to understand. So I said, "What's that baby bird trying to say?" No answer. Again, "What's that baby bird trying to say?" Again no answer. The third time "What's that baby bird trying to say?" and she replied, clear as a bell -- "I don't know!" :rofl:

She cracks me up!!! :lol:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
She sounds wonderful...

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Congrats! Arne had his phase that you are mentioning with TIrzah a while back. I promise you she will get back to normal...It'll just take what seems like a really long time!
Do not worry about her feathers....Twice a year molt for them, and Arne and Loki look the exact same way you are making her sound. New feathers are coming in...and they lost their long tail feathers. It'll all come back!
Some Alex's are cage territorial and others are not...She may calm down about it a while down the road.
Would love to see some pictures!

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Woops, I totally misread that you have a Mustache... :lol: Sorry about that.

LindaD

Strolling the yard
Everett, Snohomish County, Washington, USA
Real Name
Linda Dockstader
That's OK greymatron. I think they are much alike anyway. She's doing the full-on thing, tho, screaming, panting, posturing, pinning, sheesh!! But I love her. It makes me sad that she seems SO unhappy! I know that this, too, shall pass! :geek: