1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips. Got my Kakariki home yesterday.

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by Macus.swe, 9/5/18.

1. Macus.swe

Macus.swe Moving in

OK, i´ve read numerous of different advice's on how to do the first days when the bird gets home, and i´m getting more confused. My only experiences is two lovebirds that i didn't want tamed, and a cockatiel that i just had for a few week when my brother was away, and it was quite easy to gain trust.

Now, I got my Kakariki home yesterday, and i feel he is very relaxed in the cage, eating, jumping around, and relaxing. When i reached in to change his water he just observed and didn't panic so I tried to give him fruit and he was curious, but didn't eat. I just just had my hand there for 2-3 minutes, then i got worried that i maybe pushing it to much in the beginning.

So, i just realized that i forgot my question but i have read so much that I feel insecure of how to proceed. I want to let him out and try to gain trust that way, or is it better in the cage? Is there any limits on how much time i should sit with him? Besides when I see that he wants to be alone? I read different approaches like, 10 minutes at a time, but if it doesn't seem to bother him that i sit longer?

I just want to get it right and maybe i'm just thinking to much, but it would be nice to hear some other experiences, good or bad, and maybe some tips.

faislaq likes this.
  2. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

If it helps, it seems to me that doing anything slow around a bird is never bad.

faislaq likes this.
  3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    If he seems to enjoy your company, I would sit with him as much as you can. If he seems comfortable, you can open up the cage and see if he wants to come out on his own. I wouldn't force him out. Just make sure the area that you're in is safe for him to come out. Each bird is different. Some want interaction right away. Some don't. You just have to try to move at his pace. My cockatiel had very little out of cage time before I got him and wouldn't come out of his cage for 3 weeks. But he loved for me to sit and talk with him. I even read out loud to him. My cockatoo on the other hand, was out of his cage playing the first minute we brought him home. So it just depends on the bird.

Tiel Feathers and faislaq like this.
  4. Macus.swe

Macus.swe Moving in

Thank you for answering. I let him out yesterday, it took not maybe 1-2 minutes and he was out :) Had to help him get inside but today he flew inside himself when he was hungry. I've decided not to try get him on my hand when he inside the cage. The only thing i'm going to dog there is to change food/water/clean etc. And when he out it up to him and up to me to have patience :)

finchly, Tiel Feathers and Clueless like this.
  5. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Tanya
    Could we see photos?

6. Macus.swe

Macus.swe Moving in

I don't know how to upload any picture. How do I do that?

7. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

expressmailtome likes this.
  8. Macus.swe

Macus.swe Moving in

I missed that button rps20180911_200516.jpg

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)