• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips for training a baby (6 months)?

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Hello,
I've recently adopted a juvi blue&gold macaw, his name is Ollie and he's six months old. We've been playing and training with him, he is very good at step up, is quickly learning step down, and is learning "nice" (letting us touch his beak without him going to lick or nip our fingers). He is also potty training, but I'm' still learning his signs before he has to poop to get him to the right spot (he's very inconsistent with his warnings!)

Obviously we tell him good bird and treat him when he does well. I try to ignore or distract him from undesirable behavior, but was wondering what you guys all do with your birds.

Ollie loves to lick everything and try to eat fingernails - I try to distract him with a foot toy when he does this. I'm pretty sure its just a baby thing and he will grow out of it, but any advice for discouraging nibbling?

Tips for potty training or other tricks your birdies have learned are appreciated!

We are also planning on harness training him so that he can go outside, probably starting that next week once he is totally comfortable with us.

Thanks in advance!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like you are doing everything right - except potty training. Be careful that you don't train him to the point that he won't potty unless he is at the designated place. A parrot that is strictly potty trained may hold his poop so long that he gets ill. They can get constipated or hold it so long that an infection begins - so be careful.

As far as the nibbling goes, it just takes time and consistency. Realize that he is a baby and his beak is how he explores the world and learns new things.

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Hi Mary!
He has a couple spots where we encourage him to potty, but we're not punishing him if he goes on the floor. I don't think he will have any issues with the potty training (I've lived with two potty trained eclectuses).

I know he explores with his beak and he is a baby, I think my main concern with the nibbling is that it will turn into biting. Especially with finger nails, hes getting harder with the nibbles/bites. Any advice to keep him from getting to bite-y with it?