• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips for teaching birds how to talk

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
So I've had my cockatiel for a little over a year now and he was just a baby when I got him. He is very bonded with me and can be very vocal as he chirps on his own. However, I've been trying to teach him new simple tunes to whistle and I've been repeating simple words to him over and over trying to get him to repeat them, but he just doesn't seem interested. Any tips on things I can do to help him learn?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels aren't known to be great talkers. I had a male and once, and only once, I thought I heard him say something- and then wondered if I imagined it. LOL. You may have more luck working on tunes. I think repetition is the best way. Just keep whistling to him or you can find some videos on youtube, etc. :) And if he does say something or whistle something, do positive reinforcement. For my birds, they like(d) praise and attention a lot for doing something.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are you sure that you have a male? Most female cockatiels never talk or whistle.

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
@expressmailtome The place I got him from didn't know his gender. I just assumed male because he does whistle a lot, just not the tunes I try to teach him

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Neither of my birds know how to say much (doesn't bug me either way) but I do think it's funny when they pick up on sounds. Start with easy things like clicks and kissing noises or copy the noises your bird makes. :) Just make it a game to "talk birdy" to him/her, and encourage the bird when it happens.