• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips and Tricks? - Advice for Rainbow

kib1992

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kelsey
Hello!

So, long story, but here goes:

My boyfriend works as a bird keeper at a local zoo with a walkthrough lorikeet aviary. Several months back, a little rainbow lorikeet's wing started drooping. After a week or so, vet said it was getting better so no further medical treatment was given. A month after that though, the droop was back. X-ray was done. It had fractured its wing and no one had picked up on it, so it had now fused back together on its own accord. Because of the way it fused, the bird is now unable to fly and was unable to go back into the nesting area. It was placed in the quarentine room and looked after by the 3 keepers.

Fast forward to now. Someone higher in the zoo (don't know who), has said that they need the quarantine space and, as it has been several months and with no signs of re-introducing it back into the aviary, the lorikeet needs to go. Que frantic bargaining from keepers to keep it one month more. Higher up was adiment it had to go; Take it home, put it to sleep, either way, it couldn't stay. My boyfriend, being the wonderfully soft soul he is, said that we would take it (we're also making room somewhere for 2 royal pythons that he said we'd take because they're in surplus and also "needed to go").

I do not have a problem taking this bird, in fact I'm ridiculously excited. My only problem is, I know that rainbow's tend to get attached to one person and can be "jealous". As one of the soul carers for it for the past 4 months, it's likely to already be attached to my boyfriend. I'm only going to be working 2 days a week next month due to health issues (I work as an inverterbrate keeper/presentation host at the same zoo) so I was wondering if there's any tips you guys have to help the bird and I have a good bond between us?

Also, any enrichment ideas for a bird that can't fly?

Thanks

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Check out the special needs forum.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Check out Special Needs Crossing. We have several members with special needs birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

@TWR ?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:welcome2:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome, lorikeets are notoriously noisy and excitable. They love to play in their waking hours with little time for relaxing or sleeping.

Shredding toys, foot toys and toys they can hang off and flap their wings....not necessarily flying but just creating havoc. Plenty of branches to crawl over and forage.

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
my lorikeet cant fly, he was a rescue after being hit by a car. He just loves to run... he practically plays fetch like a dog across my floor. .... loves his playgym..but doenst like swings..doesnt like movement like that..never has. other than that..ripping...ripping ripping.... hes bugga becasue most things he decides he wants to chew and rip are things he shouldnt..shoes...books....hes naughty. :)

doodoowmdeez

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James Lafontaine
Best way to prevent any bird from becoming attached to one person is to keep it socializing. Out of cage time is paramount as well. Especially with Lories. Mine would love when his area was rearranged weekly and would spend hours running around the cage and playpen above. My birds are set up so that when they get up, between 6-7am depending on the bird, they come out of their sleeping cages and go to their room where they are uncaged until bedtime. Even my 2 newest rescues give everyone a chance. Just keep at it patiently and don't pressure the bird if it's not ready. Good luck!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcome2: