• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timneh African Grey Experience

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Poor Harley! I can understand why you'd want to minimize the road trips. :( Is there a chance he might begin to look forward to his trips to see Coco? Or if you had to leave him there could you go to see him everyday?

That would still worry me though. On Parrot Confidential, a couple left their Amazon with another Amazon for a week while they were away and when they took their bird home both birds were so distraught that they discussed it with the other couple and decided to let their bird go to live with the other family permanently. :unsure1: Might not happen, but worth considering.
I'm hoping he can slowly learn to like the car. It's actually almost scary how upset he gets, he really can't handle much :(.

I remember that scene from Parrot Confidential, very upsetting. The thought has crossed my mind since our last visit. Ideally what I am hoping for is to find another grey he can learn from and bring both of them home. That was the tentative plan with Coco, but finances have gotten in the way.

I'm glad Harley got to interact with another Grey. Hopefully, more interactions can happen. I know Elvis is not a Grey, but he's welcome to hang out with Elvis.
I think as much exposure to some change will be good for him, Michelle. I don't know for sure how he will react to Elvis, but he wasn't too bothered by our friends Galah's that he was close to. If you are up for it I would be!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm hoping he can slowly learn to like the car. It's actually almost scary how upset he gets, he really can't handle much :(.

I remember that scene from Parrot Confidential, very upsetting. The thought has crossed my mind since our last visit. Ideally what I am hoping for is to find another grey he can learn from and bring both of them home. That was the tentative plan with Coco, but finances have gotten in the way.

I think as much exposure to some change will be good for him, Michelle. I don't know for sure how he will react to Elvis, but he wasn't too bothered by our friends Galah's that he was close to. If you are up for it I would be!
I actually don't know how Elvis would be either. LOL. But we can certainly try. Elvis is playing machine. So, in that respect, he would be good for Harley.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I actually don't know how Elvis would be either. LOL. But we can certainly try. Elvis is playing machine. So, in that respect, he would be good for Harley.
Well Harley could definitely use some help learning how to play with toys!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Well Harley could definitely use some help learning how to play with toys!

We'll have to set something up then. You should see my floor each night as a result of Elvis. I pick up handfuls of chewed up woods, etc. every night.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
We'll have to set something up then. You should see my floor each night as a result of Elvis. I pick up handfuls of chewed up woods, etc. every night.
Sounds good to me. Elvis is a little wood chipper! Our Senegal Constantine loves to chew wood, but it takes him a while to be okay with new toys. He's chewed through his perches before.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:wideyed: Is this really gonna happen? I can't wait to see pics of Harley and Elvis! :dance2::dance4: Pics, videos & tons of stories please. This is so exciting. :laugh:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:wideyed: Is this really gonna happen? I can't wait to see pics of Harley and Elvis! :dance2::dance4: Pics, videos & tons of stories please. This is so exciting. :laugh:
We will take pics. LOL. Jake and I know each other through the bird rescue. I have met Harley before- once briefly- and Jake has met Elvis before. But Elvis and Harley have never met. It might take a little while to coordinate. I know the rescue has a lot going on right now but yes, I think it's going to happen. :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Harley's picking today :(. This is the second pile I cleaned up, first one was just as large.

IMG_8057.JPG

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How frustrating for you :sadhug2:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
He's mad my girlfriend came home, so he takes it out on his feathers. She was visiting family for four days so it was just me and him.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Was able to score a cage upgrade for Harley! The cage he came with was too small so we have been searching for something larger for a while. Was about to buy a walk in aviary for him and another Grey but things came up and that has to sadly be put on the back burner for the time being. Lucky for me though someone I know from a past job had a spare 36x24 laying around and offered it up for free. Took a while to scrub some superficial rust and dirt off but it's all set.

IMG_8098.JPG
IMG_8099.JPG

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Sweet! :D It looks nice, too. I bet he loves the extra space.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Nice.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
How fun!! I wish I were a bit closer to you guys - I would love for Lucius to have some bird pals too (Charlie has learned to tolerate him but does not want to play or interact with him)!

Wanted to give a light hearted Harley update this morning. I found a great deal on a home security camera so I set it up and trained it on Harley's cage. It has audio so I can hear all the noises he makes when I turn it on. Well I was working the late shift this weekend and I turn it on to see how he was doing. What do I hear but him practicing some words and phrases that I've never heard him say before. He goes "hello, what are ya doing, step up, good boy [insert whistle]". He does this two or three times, adding in random whistles and noises between words.
I've been wanting to do something like this for my boys. Charlie practices things early in the mornings, very quietly, but stops if he sees or hears someone nearby. I haven't done much research on cameras yet, but this reminded/motivated me to get to work on it! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How fun!! I wish I were a bit closer to you guys - I would love for Lucius to have some bird pals too (Charlie has learned to tolerate him but does not want to play or interact with him)!

I've been wanting to do something like this for my boys. Charlie practices things early in the mornings, very quietly, but stops if he sees or hears someone nearby. I haven't done much research on cameras yet, but this reminded/motivated me to get to work on it! :)

I wish you were closer too! I'm curious to see what Elvis will think of other birds. When he was at his other foster mom's I think he pretty much ignored the other birds but they were bigger and smaller than him. None really his size. So we'll see.

I have thought about getting a camera too. Jake, what kind of home security camera did you get? Elvis has definitely been mumbling some new phrases lately. I haven't been able to figure out what they are yet. And he usually speaks really clearly. So I think he's still practicing. I'm a little nervous as to what they are.......

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake

Wish you were closer as well! Always great to provide socialization opportunities for our birds and be able to spend time with fellow parrot people :). It was so funny to turn the camera on and hear him chatting up a storm. He is still pretty hesitant talking when he knows I'm paying attention. He usually waits until I turn my back and he'll say something. Apparently the other day my girlfriend heard him say "hey Harley boy" as I was walking away. That's his nickname that I use for him, so I was pretty excited that he said it. His new favorite phrase though is to wait until I am on the phone and beep like an answering machine and say "hellooo".

I wish you were closer too! I'm curious to see what Elvis will think of other birds. When he was at his other foster mom's I think he pretty much ignored the other birds but they were bigger and smaller than him. None really his size. So we'll see.

I have thought about getting a camera too. Jake, what kind of home security camera did you get? Elvis has definitely been mumbling some new phrases lately. I haven't been able to figure out what they are yet. And he usually speaks really clearly. So I think he's still practicing. I'm a little nervous as to what they are.......

Michelle, I bought a cheap set of Momentum security cameras. They come in a two pack for about $90, last I checked. They are certainly not the best by any means but they get the job done. The company has actually been updating the app for your phone and I can say there has been an improvement in picture quality. Not the best camera out there, but $90 sure beats $300 that Nest cams cost.

I know what you mean about being nervous what they could be, I have to try and watch what I say around Harley because I know that he will probably shout it loud and proud at the worst possible moment, haha. He called me an a**hole the other day....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wish you were closer as well! Always great to provide socialization opportunities for our birds and be able to spend time with fellow parrot people :). It was so funny to turn the camera on and hear him chatting up a storm. He is still pretty hesitant talking when he knows I'm paying attention. He usually waits until I turn my back and he'll say something. Apparently the other day my girlfriend heard him say "hey Harley boy" as I was walking away. That's his nickname that I use for him, so I was pretty excited that he said it. His new favorite phrase though is to wait until I am on the phone and beep like an answering machine and say "hellooo".

Michelle, I bought a cheap set of Momentum security cameras. They come in a two pack for about $90, last I checked. They are certainly not the best by any means but they get the job done. The company has actually been updating the app for your phone and I can say there has been an improvement in picture quality. Not the best camera out there, but $90 sure beats $300 that Nest cams cost.

I know what you mean about being nervous what they could be, I have to try and watch what I say around Harley because I know that he will probably shout it loud and proud at the worst possible moment, haha. He called me an a**hole the other day....

Thanks. I'll check them out.

LOL. Oh no! So far Elvis doesn't swear. And I usually don't. So I'm not worried about what I say. It's what other people I live with say......... :rolleyes: I keep telling that certain person that he really needs to be careful around Elvis because Elvis doesn't miss anything.