1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timneh African Grey Experience

Discussion in 'African Grey Alley' started by BirdGuy21, 4/23/17.

1. BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21 Sprinting down the street

Jake
    Thanks Michelle, you're too kind.

I'm thinking we are definitely past the honeymoon phase, I just hope to figure out a solution the the feather picking. Maybe it's also hormonal? He was snipping pieces off while he was out with me this morning, so it's not just an in the cage issue.

He is now in the same room with Gillian. He comes out almost as soon as we get home with the rest of the flock.

sunnysmom likes this.
  2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

Michelle
    It could be. Have you thought about trying anything like Avi Calm with him? Or Herb Salad?

faislaq likes this.
  3. BirdGuy21

Jake
    I haven't thought of Avi-Calm actually, I will talk to the vet about it at our appointment. What exactly do you mean by Herb Salad? Is that a product like Avi-Calm?

Harley got a spray bottle bath this afternoon and didn't pluck or barber afterwards. He was nice and soaked, and he didn't seem to hate it.

faislaq, sunnysmom and Laura729 like this.
  4. sunnysmom

Michelle
    Herb Salad by Twin Beaks Aviary

Sunny never plucked but he once went through this crazy hormonal phase where he started attacking the fiance. It was suggested to me on a cockatiel site to try this. I put some in a shallow bowl with some nutriberries and things for him to forage through. He seemed to pick through and eat the herbs he wanted. And perhaps a coincidence but 2-3 days of this and he completely returned to his normal self.

faislaq likes this.
  5. BirdGuy21

Jake
    Thanks Michelle, I will have to check that out. Did Sunny take to it right away or did it take some time for him to try it out? It seems similar to a product I just bought that is designed to be brewed as a tea, but can be offered as a dry mix as well. It's from a place called Greywood Manor and was formulated by Dr. Jason Crean. The Herb Salad comes in a much bigger bag though for a significantly better price, so that is looking good. I'm willing to give anything a shot to relieve his picking.

Harley actually had a pretty good day feathers wise today. Yesterday he got a soaking spray bottle bath in hopes it would help reduce picking. This morning while we were at work he had a ton of foraging toys in his cage, inclucing what I take to be his new favorite toy- paper cuts with foot toys and treats in them. I threaded a few of these cups onto a metal skewer and hung it in the cage. He chewed up all the cups and emptied his bowl of foot toys. He started picking at some of the other toys that I added to the cage as well.

This afternoon after work he got another soaking spray bottle shower. I've been trying to do a good bit of reading on feather destructive behavior and I've consistently come across the recommendation for daily bathing. So, we are working on the spray bottle bath with sunflower seed treats. He almost seems like he wants to enjoy it, but doesn't want me to know about it. Yesterday after his initial spray bath he tried to continue by dunking his head into the water bowl, so I took that as a sign of contentment. On the down side he just snipped off a feather piece a few minutes ago on his stand. I suppose one feather though is better than the alternative.

sunnysmom and faislaq like this.
  6. BirdGuy21

Jake
    IMG_2031.JPG

Soaking wet Harley after his bath.

schnitzle, WendyN, sunnysmom and 3 others like this.
  7. Kiwi and Mitch

Kiwi and Mitch Meeting neighbors

Mitch
    What an intelligent looking guy!

BirdGuy21 and faislaq like this.
  8. BirdGuy21

Jake
    Thanks! He's a smart little guy. Still working on redirecting some of his energy to a non feather destructive behavior.

faislaq likes this.
  9. BirdGuy21

Jake
    image.jpg

Harley enjoying his new play gym!

WendyN, sunnysmom, Laura729 and 2 others like this.
  10. faislaq

faislaq Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Karen
    That should redirect him! :tup:

BirdGuy21 likes this.
  11. BirdGuy21

Jake
    That's the plan! He seems to be enjoying it so far, especially his new leather toy. Bought him several shreddable or chew type toys to keep him distracted and busy. He's eating his dinner-of sprouts, which he is not thrilled with- and laughing up on the stand, so I take that as a sign of contentment.

faislaq likes this.
  12. BirdGuy21

Jake
    Well, upsetting find this morning. Harley chewed off about a three inch piece of his one primary flight feather, along with a good number of down feathers.

Chewing the flight feather seems to me to be an escalation of the behavior. I'm wondering if I'm jumping the gun here, but maybe I should try AviCalm and Featherific? He is now almost completely naked on his back and chest, and has started barbering his larger grey wing feathers. Also, has anyone ever used aloe juice mixed with water to bath their bird? I've had that recommnded to me.

Last edited: 5/21/17 at 4:44 AM
  13. sunnysmom

Michelle
    Oh no ! Harley stop chewing your feathers!

Sunny did surprisingly take to the Herb Salad right away. Which was odd for him because he normally didn't take to new things very well. I put it on a small saucer and through some nutriberries in it to encourage him to check it out. After the hormonal period passed, I kept a small dish of it in his cage but he didn't eat it often after that. It was almost like he knew he needed it and then once he mellowed out, didn't want it anymore. Maybe I'm reading too much into it....... And another plus, it smells really good. :)

I think I would be tempted to try AviCalm. At this point, I don't think it could hurt.

faislaq likes this.
  14. BirdGuy21

Jake
    Well Harley has his vet appointment tomorrow, hope all goes well! I waited on the Avi Calm as I didn't want it to mess up blood work. Don't know if it would do that, but wanted to be safe. He's been moderately barbering his down feathers and a grey feather here and there. Fingers crossed!

sunnysmom likes this.
  15. Kiwi and Mitch

Kiwi and Mitch Meeting neighbors

Mitch
    Best of luck tomorrow and I truly hope that all goes well!

BirdGuy21 and faislaq like this.
  16. BirdGuy21

Jake
    Thanks! I don't know if he has ever seen the vet as he wasnt surrendered with any vet records. His former owner gave the rescue his backstory and supplies but no mention of ever seeing an avian vet v

17. sunnysmom

Michelle
    Let us know how things go.

BirdGuy21 likes this.
  18. BirdGuy21

Jake
    Vet appointment went alright today. It's only about a twenty minute drive but Harley got pretty upset in the car and chewed off a good amount of feathers. His fecal smear gave back alright, with the exception of a slightly elevated yeast presence. The vet wasn't too concerned though, saying it could be stress related and said we can do a follow up test if anything changes. He got his nail and beak trimmed as they were a little long.

Unfortunately they weren't able to draw the blood for blood work today due to shipping and the Memorial Day holiday, so it looks like I am taking him back to the vet for a blood draw on Tuesday. Not too happy about that as he gets stressed out and upset in the car, but its the only option. He was very cute on the drive back. He kept sticking his beak through the carrier, so I decided to try to put my finger there to see if he would want to hold on. Turns out he did, and wanted to rub his beak against my finger.

He snipped off a piece of grey feather when we got home and has been pretty sleepy. He hasn't been too interested in his dinner, but he had a long day.

IMG_2100.JPG

Sleepy Harley

IMG_2103.JPG

Laura729 and sunnysmom like this.
  19. faislaq

faislaq Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Karen
    Any chance you can try making car rides a positive thing? Like a treat-filed ride to the park to sit in the sun for a few minutes before another treat-filled ride home? I know it's not likely to happen before his next visit, but sounds like every time he's been in the car it's either a major life change of a trip to the vet? Buzzard has the same negative associations so I've been taking him for car rides around the block with the windows down while he's in his carrier. He enjoys the wind and stares at everything as we go by, but still isn't excited about his carrier. (It's a bit small) I think it'll be a while before we overcome his negative association with car rides, but I remain hopeful!
    I'm glad to hear how sweet he was on he way home and I'm so glad you were brave enough to try letting him hold your fingers! Sounds like the poor dear needed some reassurance. :hug8:

Laura729 and BirdGuy21 like this.
  20. BirdGuy21

Jake
    That's a great idea about car rides, I will definitely try that! We can start with short trips around the neighborhood first while offering his favorite food-pine nuts. I think I saw somewhere online where you can buy little bird-backpacks, where they sit on a perch in a translucent backpack like thing. Wonder if I can find that and if so, if he would like to go to the park in that eventually, after lots of desensitization. In fact that would be great for the whole flock.

I wish they could have taken the blood today, but I forgot about the long weekend. I guess they did too, since they said no problem for blood work when I first scheduled the appointment. Really hoping blood work comes back alright, as it always makes me nervous. He wasn't on the best diet for the first eighteen years of his life so you never know what they might find. I'm hopeful though and thinking positive thoughts.

He was so sweet on the way home, it was adorable. He hasn't bitten me yet (knock on wood), but has gotten my girlfriend pretty good. Regardless the bites don't really bother me, and I figured even if I did get bit it was worth the risk to comfort him. He's not a very touchy bird and has only let me scritch his head a few times. The first was when I saw him at the rescue meeting and he wanted scritches for three hours. I think he's still settling in though, so we'll see. I loved how he just wanted to hold my finger though on the way home.

Laura729 and faislaq like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)