• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Time out side cage

Gen99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gen Inglis
Is 2 hours enough time out side the cadge for my cockatiel. I rescued him around a month ago from the sspca and he’s about 11. Each day that I come home from school/ work I let him out, arround 2 hours later he goes back in him self and doesn’t seem interested in coming back out. Is this Enough time a day or should I incorrage him to come out more?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If that's what he likes it should be fine. The choice to come out is the biggest thing, in my opinion!

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
sounds good to me

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s for giving him a home, you’ll have to post pictures when you get a chance! If that’s what he chooses to do, then that’s fine. I bet as the months go by and he gets more comfortable in his new home he will want to come out more often.

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yep!
I obsessed in the beginning about how often Waffle was out of her cage, and sometimes she just likes hanging out in there because it's where the food and toys are! Most important is keeping to a consistent schedule.
I don't have it handy, but I watched a video about how out of cage time should really be about quantity vs. quality. For example, if bird is out and not playing and totally being ignored it doesn't count. And if bird is happy in cage, just leave her be! Forcing them out will only create a negative experience all around.