• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Tiel took a bite out of Poinsettia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotletPal

Walking the driveway
Well, he doesn't seem any worse for wear this morning. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and good thoughts. I feel like a dodged a bullet. The plant is in the car ready to be delivered to the seniors' home in town. Have a nice weekend everyone and thanks.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Thank You for letting Us know that He is OK:hug8:I'm sure the Seniors will Love the Plant:heart:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am glad to hear that he is ok.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
So glad he's doing fine this morning!!:)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's great news. What a relief!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Glad your little one is ok. Thanks for updating us.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
That was a nasty scare, so pleased all is well with him.
My house was always full of plants,but i got so confused as to what was safe and what wasn't i got rid of the lot all for the love of my parrots! Better safe than sorry i say!:hug8:

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
Great news! Glad to hear that Diefenbaker is not sick from his tangle with the Poinsettia! There are many different opinions about some house plants as to whether they are toxic to birds or not. But, there seems to be universal agreement that Poinsettia is definitely one plant to avoid.

Maybe Diefenbaker would appreciate some fresh kale, lettuce or other safe greens to nibble on? :hug8: My red rumps love to forage through salad greens to find millet and other favorite seeds that I have sprinkled underneath.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Just remember that these plants are not only poisonous to birds but to ALL PETS!

I hope your tiel is ok.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Just saw this thread! Glad everything is ok.

BTW.....there is an ANIMAL POSION CONTROL center, it's 35 bucks a call, but they tell you what to give or do depending on the med. If you should go straight to the vet, or induce vomiting, or give this or that. I had to call them myself when my cat downed an Ambien and a Immodium. and they will give you a reference number for the vet if you need to go, the vet can call them and also get their assistance. Animal poison control is run by vets who specialize in poison control. You can call your vet to get the number, IDK if it is different for different areas. But I called the vet and they gave me the number. I would post it, and will if I can find it! lol

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
GOT IT

The National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPPC) of the University of Illinois can be reached by calling 1-900-680-0000 or 1- 800-548-2423.
The NAPCC's phones are answered by licensed veterinarians and board-certified veterinary toxicologists. The NAPCC staff have a wide range of information specific to animal poisoning. They also have an extensive collection of individual cases -- over 250,000 -- involving pesticide, drug, plant, metal, and other exposures in food producing and companion animals.

the 800 number is 30 bucks, the other is by the minute
and...
The National Animal Poison Control Center of the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) can be reached by calling 1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435)

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad to see he is ok.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
phewwwwwI am so glad he is ok...phew

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I am so glad he is okay. I didn't have birds at the time but my cousin brought me the same plant as a gift one year for xmas. I didn't know they were poisonous and my cat started having seizures. I rushed her to the vet in panic and by the time we got there, she didn't do it anymore. The vet asked what changes in the house and told her about the plant but it was on top of my fridge in the kitchen and my cat was never near it. She said it is so toxic that just having it in the house caused her seizures. I disposed of it and she never had another one.

All in all, rushing her to the vet and out of the house was probably what saved her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.