• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Tiel Nose Blockage?

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Im new so please excuse me, but I got a 2 month old tiel about a month or two ago and about a week ago I accidentally got some formula into her nose. I tried to get it out but couldn’t so I just left it thinking she would sneeze it out or something. Today she sneezed a bit though and it seems to have been blocked up a bit more than before, but doesn’t seem to cause her any problems or stop her from breathing. Her other nose is perfectly clear. What should I do? (( I can post pics later

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome & please take this in the spirit that it’s meant-take your bird to the vet ASAP to have it removed. It could become infected and that infection could backflow into the sinuses and the bloodstream. It will also probably dry on the outward facing side into concrete & make removal even more unlikely through natural means. It also isn’t healthy for your bird to have one side of its nose plugged. :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Avian vet please.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bird formula is like concrete when dry. Hence why it is advised to clean your bird after feeding incase it has any on it´s feathers.
I agree with the other ladies, a vet visit is in order!

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Thanks guys. My nearest avain vet is 2hrs away but what has to be done must be done. What do you think they’ll do for her?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A visit to the vet is in order. In the meantime plenty of sprays/baths and visits to a steamy bathroom. Raise the humidity around the cage if possible. The more you do now the easier it'll be at the vet's.

Kodigirl210

The vet will probably soften it then usually special tools to scoop it out. Afterwards they will probably flush it water to make sure everything was removed. The vet will also check the lungs to make sure nothing was aspirated and perhaps prescribe an antibiotic depending on how everything checks out.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They will either do a nasal flush or have specialized tools for removing the formula without damaging the delicate tissue in her nose. Possibly both.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, DO NOT try removing it yourself. The vet will have special tools and an extensive knowledge of bird anatomy, so will know how to remove the blockage without hurting your bird or damaging its nare.

Last edited:

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Okay, thanks guys. I’ll try to get an appointment in soon. Should I schedule an appointment in the office or at my own house? I found one closer around half an hour away, and they have a vet that studied birds and has a tiel of his own. Should I trust him?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a pretty simple thing, so I'd probably be okay with a bird-experienced vet who isn't avian specialized. But only you can really make that judgment after meeting and talking with the vet.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would give him a try. I've had several vets who were great but not boarded in avian medicine. As someone currently in the process of board certification (for human medical stuff), I can tell you that the process is long and expensive. If you have multiple specialty interests, it may not make sense to be officially boarded in all of them for financial reasons alone.

Kodigirl210

I’d think they should be ok to clear the nose but that I’d be very hesitant of long term use for anything that is avian specialized. They look to be solidly in the cat, dog & 4-footed farm animal department. None of the other doctors list any avian experience and it seems unlikely that they spend much time on it. Even the vet who has a bird is at a 7 to 1 ratio so says isn’t much focus on the avian species. However if you go to see him you can always ask some basic questions:
What different types of avians has he treated
What was the most difficult avian case
Estimate of how many avian patients he’s lost to the amount he’s treated
Has he treated more livestock or exotic avian
How many years has he treated avians
How many CE hours does he devote to avians every year
Where did he get his training in avians
How old is his Tiel and does he treat the tiel himself or have someone else do it

That should give you a pretty good base of information to figure out if you would like him to treat your fid or see if he can recommend someone else. If he is a good vet, he won’t have any issues answering these questions for someone who has never been to his clinic or seen him before. If he’s offended-I’d say peace out. That’s the type of vet who is sold on the money not the patient IMHO. Good luck! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hey, did you manage to get to the vet? How is your bird? I hope she´s ok!