• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiel afraid of fingers?

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Hi, so I have a wonderful around 8 mo tiel that I’ve had for 6 months. She’s lovely, and sits in her cage singing while waiting for a human to come take her out, and when you walk by the cage she tries her best to come out. When you leave her alone she freaks out and follows you ect, she is extremely attached. Recently though she has been attacking fingers whenever they come by her for no apparent reason, and it’s not just once or twice, it’s many times. She still acts the same but always attacks fingers. I think it’s because my parents bother her a lot even though I have told them countless times not to, such as poking her, smushing her for kisses, so on so fourth. She also has this bell toy in her cage that she attacks very often, could that be the issue that is causing her to be aggressive? I don’t know how to address this problem, so if someone could please help me that would be great. Also she isn’t biting very hard, more of warning like bites.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

RatTails

Meeting neighbors
My 9mth is also fairly nippy but nothing hard or hurtful. She's also only just today allowed me to pet her for the first time.

I think if your parents hold back on poking fingers and stuff it might help her calm down.

Don't remove the bell, give her more things to destroy in her cage! Yay active beaks!

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
My 9mth is also fairly nippy but nothing hard or hurtful. She's also only just today allowed me to pet her for the first time.

I think if your parents hold back on poking fingers and stuff it might help her calm down.

Don't remove the bell, give her more things to destroy in her cage! Yay active beaks!
Okay, thank you. I heard positive hand interaction will help as well such as feeding millet by hand? She still allows me to scritch her sometimes though?

Sops1306

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sophie
My 26 week old is terrible for biting neither of them like being touched. But they are getting better by not panicking when theres a hand in the cage rearranging things feeding ect

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You really need to get your parents to stop bothering her. Have them read this if needed. Definitely try to make hands seem positive by only feeding her millet by hand or when training. Save it just for this purpose. She should never be forced to do anything, but everything should be her choice. I personally would take out the bell. It is probably a reflective surface, and it seems to be making her frustrated. You can add foraging toys to her cage instead.

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Alright, thank you. Do you have any links to foraging/wooden toys? She loves breaking things. I tried looking at the dollar store for anything she can break but couldn't find anything.