• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tick question

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are there products out there that actually repel ticks so they don't want to stay on the dog very long? I take my spaniel out to run around and retrieve tennis balls a couple times a week. He just seems to need time off leash to be a spaniel and no amount of walking on leash takes care of the sporting dog crazy like flat out run and retrieve time. The vet has him on Bravecto which I'm sure works great to kill ticks once they've attached. Problem being, he still comes home full of ticks and then they crawl off him and find me. I get the heebie jeebies about very few things but ticks will do it. I'd rather he just not come home with them on him, or that I can maybe toss him outside in the yard for a few hours after a run and let them drop off before bringing him into the house. I dislike finding that on multiple occasions that slight tickling sensation that I think might be a tick but probably not, actually has turned out to be a tick this year. I'm scratching like someone with a meth problem and its not just psychological. Would like to continue letting the dog out to run in controlled situations, but not if we're are going to bring home vermin.
BTW, we go to a local wooded and tall grass park with a creek running through it, away from roads and usually other dogs too. Its as safe as a place can be for a hunting dog to go do his thing. Except for the vermin. I've tried talking to the vet, but he doesn't seem to grasp that dead isn't good enough. I'd rather have them repelled. Even if I have to sacrifice a little efficacy for fleas.

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
I think there's something you can get from the vet to keep ticks and fleas from biting but they'll do just that.. hitch a ride then crawl off your dog and onto you.
Sorry! Bump :)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
i don't know, but I have heard of people using a lint roller to remove ticks with some success. just run it over the dog. maybe try that before putting him in the car and again when you get home. (or before letting him in the house if you walk there)