• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thunder Shirt

GCChris

Walking the driveway
Hey has anyone else tried this for their dogs? We just got one for Chase and I'm impressed.

For those who don't know, this is a tight-fitting coat/wrap meant to calm dogs in a 'swaddling' fashion, who have anxiety for various reasons, such as fears and phobias (like thunder, hence the name) or excitement issues.
Our rat terrier Chase is a little bundle of anxiety and energy and it can be quiet annoying. He whines almost all day, either loudly or the "whisper whine" that he does under his breath. This behaviour is worse during the day and I believe it may be because he is too concerned with what everyone is doing outside. We can't keep him from the windows, and he has great eyesight, and watches every person, dog and squirrel like a hawk. He shakes a lot too but that is common for the breed.
Anyway, we got the shirt to try cause it has a satisfaction-guarantee. We tried it in the store first where he was super-over-stimulated...shaking, skittering on the floor, whining. When the clerk put it on him he stopped immediately, and looked up at me as if he just snapped out of trance like "huh? Where are we?" It was really amazing. I was able to walk him around the store without him pulling on the leash like crazy until he chokes, for the first time EVER!
So we bought it, and Joseph put it on him this morning before I came downstairs...my waking up/coming downstairs is one of the too-exciting events that can send him over the edge. But this morning, with his shirt on, rather than greeted by a frenetic, trembling, whining black and white blur, I had a calm little doggie in a cute shirt wagging his stumpy tail :D.

So I am SUPER IMPRESSED and highly recommend this product to anyone who has an anxious, nervous, or overly-excitable dog!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I used one on my grey that was terrified of storms, it worked, I also used Natures Remedy

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We bought one for McClane, he has a severe fear of loud abrupt noises, so fireworks and thunderstorms are hell. Before we got it we used one of my snug shirts, and it worked just as well if not better for him. He liked getting his shirt put on, the thundershirt not as much.

Funny story:

A while back we had a storm starting, Mark (hubby) asked "Where's his shirt?" unfortunately it was in the dryer, not yet dry. I went and got another snug shirt. I was telling hubby how I was not sure he would wear it since it was a different cut and color (the dog has issues :rolleyes:) when I felt a nudge on my leg. There was McClane sitting pretty and looking between me and the shirt as if to say "Are ya gonna put it on me or yap all night?" :lol:
This was where I found all 100lbs of him once, before the shirt :eek:
10365586_10203212247000513_2664895408648782640_o.jpg
The regular shirt
10298376_10203193513892197_6298091808637283747_o.jpg
and the shirt I was not sure he'd wear
10397024_10203211509622079_1780603487750518079_o.jpg

If anyone is considering the thundershirt but can't try one on in the store, they can always test out a snug fitting shirt on their pup to see if it helps. We now alternate between the 2 :)

GCChris

Walking the driveway
Aww so cute! Glad to hear it works for your boy! The first dog I had was storm phobic, wish these had been around back then!

omg is he in your dryer????
:lol:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
omg is he in your dryer????

Yup! :rolleyes: I went to switch out the laundry and found him in the dryer, like any good Mom :D I ran upstairs and got the camera BEFORE getting him out ;):lol:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I have one, but haven't used it. The smell it has is really really strong. Not sure if that's ok to use around the birds or not.

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I had a thunder nervous dog too.My rest in peace,German Shepard and one of my pit bulls.

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
We use this for Fynn when there is a storm. It seems to help calm him down and reduce his pacing drastically.

For other situations, however, such as new people/dogs, the Thunder Shirt actually makes him more anxious.

He's special ;)

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Love Thunder shirts!

In addition to a regular snug doggie tee, as already suggested, you can wrap your dog with non-sticky elastic cloth bandages, though that of course takes a bit of skill and practice. Wrapping was around a bit before thunder shirts came out.

But the thunder shirt is the easiest option and can be comforting-ly snug, which a regular doggie shirt might not be.

ClementinesMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Liz Goodman
After how scary New Year's Eve was with neighbors setting off fireworks, I'm starting to think my 14 month old dog isn't going to outgrow her fear of fireworks and thunder. We will be getting one soon.

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Ruby has a generic version (same concept) and it helps alot. She still has to be glued to me during the storm or fireworks ect but she no longer shakes pants cries and paces. Shell snuggle and nap.
You can actually use a ace bandage and wrap it snuggly around them as long as it hits the paticular preasure points it works a treat, thats what we did before we got her akc calm coat

ClementinesMommy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Liz Goodman
The shaking is what really gets to me. My brave girl will be willing to fight a polar bear she sees on television, but this makes her tremble so bad that the couch vibrates!