• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thunder jacket for dogs who are frightened of loud noises ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Does anyone have any experience of what I only know as a thunder jacket for dogs? They are especially made and different sizes to fit all dogs. There are certain pressure points and this jacket fits over them so that when worn the animal is no longer as frightened and much calmer when fireworks, thunder and lightning storms etc upsets them?
We have a friend who recommended one for our sheepdog Lucky as you end up wearing a live fur collar should a storm arise! She is panting and extremely distressed and no amount of comforting help her dilemma.
My friends spaniel has one and it does the trick, calming him down immediately he is wearing it.
We have one on order for Lucky in the hopes it will help her once the storms start come Autumn. Just wondered If anyone has any news of them and how good they are?

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Yes like you we have resorted in the past to drops for Lucky. They work fine if given early enough before the event of a bad storm coming in or for Firework night, but this jacket will work in conjunction with the drops even better apparently. Worth a try for her bless her as she gets so distressed it is pathetic to watch.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Interesting...roxi is scared to death...and she always pees from fright. Unfortunately she might be afraid of the jacket too:(

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
wow im glad they have found something to help dogs through this i had a st benard was a mess if it stormed ever so slightly and if a bad storm came it was pitafull you feel so helpless my guy would curl up be side me shaking and panting

i for one wouldnt hesatate to get one but no more dogs for me its to hard in winter and regardless ofweater they need good long walks

one thing i dont have to do with mango,,lol is walk him

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I did read about those, I heard they do help, also helps to keep the static electricity down from their coat I believe :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
these sound very interesting - am looking forward to your opinion on them Ann, after you receive yours and give it a try :thumbsup:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Well Lucky wore her jacket home in the car from the Surgery and was ever so quiet for her. She looked happy and content and usually is a bad passenger, pacing back and fore and wanting to get onto your lap. She lay down on the back seat of the car and looked happy all the way home for the first time ever.
Will buy some of the calming drops from the Health Food shop in readiness and what with the DVD that we have to play and putting it louder over a period of time to get her used to the louder noises, we may have cracked her problems, hope so anyway. Will know on November 5th if it works or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.