• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Throwing out leftover pellets?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
There is much waste when it comes to parrot food. You can begin to measure how much you give him and how much is left at the end of the day. That way you can tell how much was eaten and give that amount the next day.
Thank you for your reply.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I took half of them to the outside birds
I've thought of that but I'm not sure it is a good idea, if we need to wash and boil perches from outside in fear of bacterias from outside birds, I'd say our inside birds certainly have bacterias outside birds aren't prepared for...?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I've thought of that but I'm not sure it is a good idea, if we need to wash and boil perches from outside in fear of bacterias from outside birds, I'd say our inside birds certainly have bacterias outside birds aren't prepared for...?
Wow! Never thought of that. Thanks for sharing.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
if we need to wash and boil perches from outside in fear of bacterias from outside birds,
I don't do that.
I'd say our inside birds certainly have bacterias outside birds aren't prepared for...?
Outside birds are not sensitive to bacteria's as our indoor parrots are. (mostly for cleaning away good bacteria)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I don't do that.

Outside birds are not sensitive to bacteria's as our indoor parrots are. (mostly for cleaning away good bacteria)
Good point. I can see that. We tend to clean everything to the extreme washing away all the good bacteria as well.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't do that.

Well, I don't boil perches from outside, and I don't clean like crazy either, but I still think poop is poop and never good to share with anyone.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I collect uneaten food of all types daily and give to my peanut gallery (birds, squirrels, possums and skunks) every afternoon. The crows know when I usually bring out the leftovers and if I am more than an hour late getting the food to them, they start tap dancing on the metal wood stove pipe and chimney cap. They keep it up until I appear with the food and serve it up.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
but I still think poop is poop and never good to share with anyone.
But I never said that I let them share poop. They share leftovers. Why throw that away when birds outside can eat it and survive with it?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The crows know when I usually bring out the leftovers and if I am more than an hour late getting the food to them, they start tap dancing on the metal wood stove pipe and chimney cap. They keep it up until I appear with the food and serve it up.
:lol:
My pigeons place themselves in the windowsill and start staring at me if I'm late. :hurryup:

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
Great idea to feed the outdoor wild birdies! I won’t feel so wasteful tossing out pellet leftovers!

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I am of the thought, keep things in a "bubble" isolated from the surroundings. Then remove the bubble then troubles begin.
When I and my siblings were children, we were outdoors, into everything, and we were rarely ever ill. But you find children kept in a bubble, they are prone to infection, and nearly always have something wrong healthwise.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am of the thought, keep things in a "bubble" isolated from the surroundings. Then remove the bubble then troubles begin.
When I and my siblings were children, we were outdoors, into everything, and we were rarely ever ill. But you find children kept in a bubble, they are prone to infection, and nearly always have something wrong healthwise.
Totally agree! We are all organisms from this planet. We do a pretty good job living here. Illnesses are normally from high density living with in one species. ..the black plague was because people lived with their own waste. Not easy to pick up on a hike :confused:

I give my birds natural branches with bark on, I just use common sense. If the branch is full of feces clearly pick a different branch; but a little dirt, moss, lichen and other organisms that live on branches are not necessarily dangerous. Don't forget our little parrots are beings from the forests. Don't use branches that are from areas sprayed with pesticide that is a far more realistic risk.

Many parrots have been documented eating bark as part of their diet..albeit only 1-2% or less. But then pygmy parrots eat almost exclusively from bark. They forage everything they need from it.

We always raise the flag.. that our bird is a "wild animal" only a few generations from wild caught. Then we place them in a bubble and give them less environmental exposure then dogs.

Just use common sense, but don't get paranoid :)

I place all my leftover parrot food in my compost. It definitely gets eaten.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I collect uneaten food of all types daily and give to my peanut gallery (birds, squirrels, possums and skunks) every afternoon. The crows know when I usually bring out the leftovers and if I am more than an hour late getting the food to them, they start tap dancing on the metal wood stove pipe and chimney cap. They keep it up until I appear with the food and serve it up.
that is so cool! :lol:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
But I never said that I let them share poop. They share leftovers. Why throw that away when birds outside can eat it and survive with it?
Well, I don't know about your birds, mine don't really care where they poop, so sometimes there is some in their food and if they had leftovers, I'd have to pick them out.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We put out all the nutri berrie crumbs Dobby throws on his floor on the top off the fence right next to our living room and the squirrels and song birds cleaned it up by the next day. Better then tossing it. We tried regluing it back together for Lurch if it was clean and he mostly turned his nose up at it. Haven't tried it with Dobby has we also have pantry moths because of the leftover seed treats we got with him so we usually just toss it rather then take a chance of having more eggs in the leftover food. Probably going to do it more as it was very snowy the day we put it out and I'm sure all the critters needed the easy fuel.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If you have a dunker, like I have here with two- in the bag they go for the outside birds and squirrels. Cannot risk any mold growing on any that get wet. And there is waste for sure with feeding our birds!

If you can ration the amount you know they will consume- then the waste will surely lessen. :)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
It depends on the brand and if they have been wet or are placed in a high humid air.
If they not needs to be stored in the freezer they will last longer then one day.
But still I replace mine everyday. I like to clean their bowls everyday. But as they are still fresh I took half of them to the outside birds and half of them I mill with other things that I add over their daily chop.
Thanks for your reply. I change Kai’s pellets every other day now and if the discarded pellets are clean I put them in a container and when I get a cup I grind them down and add them to some of his fruits or veggies. Thank you for the idea. No more waste.