• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thrilled about arthritis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
An odd title, I know, but I am thrilled to report that Kelp likely has arthritis in her right hip. I've made modifications to her cage a few weeks ago: http://forums.avianavenue.com/special-needs-crossing/38489-anything-else-help.html and she is slipping and falling much less frequently now.

Her appointment with the vet was just a couple of days ago. Getting her in wasn't an 'emergency' per se, even though I thought she had a potentially life-threatening problem. I lost one budgie, Spray, to a kidney tumor almost exactly four years ago, and this looked just the same. Kelp was knocked out for some radiographs (X-rays) and it looks like her hip joint is big and abnormally shaped, something that is a sign of chronic arthritis. No kidney or ovarian tumors were seen, which is excellent. It doesn't mean that she does not have cancer, but it gives me hope that her lameness is just from the pain in that hip and not a tumor pressing on the nerves.

She's getting oral Metacam daily now, and she already seems a bit more comfortable and lively. All in all, excellent news since I was expecting to have to make some difficult decisions very soon with her. Not that arthritis is fun, not by any means, and her comfort is of utmost importance, but at least it is something that looks like it's going to be manageable, at least for now. She's not thrilled about the meds, but so far is taking them without a fuss or any stressing. She just nibbles at the syringe while I hold her and slowly press the plunger.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am so sorry I missed that thread. I have two birds with arthritis. Dozer is on tramadol daily to help him. He has it so bad I had to half his cage and pad it. I strategically located his perches too. Platforms dont' really work for him as his right toes curl under and dont' go flat. So his best perches are soft rope ones or his heat perch wrapped in fleece.

Baby also has bad arthritis plus neurological issues. I just leveled his cage and he loves his platform perches...they really help him.

I hope your little one feels better with the meds. Did you make the platform perches yet?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Glad it is going a lot better!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Glad you are relieved about the diagnosis. Prayers coming for little Kelp, that her meds help keep her pain free.

Ginger

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So glad that with pain management, she will be comfortable. You are one of the many angels, caring for birds with special needs...fabulous!:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm glad she's on the way to recovery :)

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am so sorry I missed that thread. I have two birds with arthritis. Dozer is on tramadol daily to help him. He has it so bad I had to half his cage and pad it. I strategically located his perches too. Platforms dont' really work for him as his right toes curl under and dont' go flat. So his best perches are soft rope ones or his heat perch wrapped in fleece.

Baby also has bad arthritis plus neurological issues. I just leveled his cage and he loves his platform perches...they really help him.

I hope your little one feels better with the meds. Did you make the platform perches yet?
I did! Of course, she won't use them! :rolleyes: A couple of the others, especially Sun, seem to like playing on them though, so it's not a waste.

Glad it is going a lot better!
I can't believe how much better she is with just three days of the NSAIDs (metacam), she already is looking more like her old self. She's standing up and perching straighter and seems to be preening herself better as well. I didn't think she was that bad, but I guess the changes were so gradual that I lost sight of what really was 'normal' for her.

So glad that with pain management, she will be comfortable. You are one of the many angels, caring for birds with special needs...fabulous!:hug8::hug8::hug8:
Sadly enough, not many Budgies even live long enough to get arthritis. Between poor care, cancer and accidents, many don't even hit five years old. So I count my blessings that we've been together long enough that I even have to worry about old age issues with her and all my flock. Lucy is the only one that doesn't turn six or older this year. Sandy-bird will turn nine in April. :eek:

Poor baby, lucky he has you.
I'm lucky to have her- she is the first hen I've worked with that convinced me that not all budgie girls were ... ahem... witches. And her daughter Lucy is even sweeter.

I'm glad she's on the way to recovery :)
I am so glad too. I plan on giving her her meds every day for a week and then seeing if we can go to every other day and still keep her comfortable. All medications have risks, and NSAIDs like metacam can be hard on the kidneys in some animals, so ideally we'd like to use as little as possible. Her comfort is more important than anything else though, so if she needs it daily, she'll get it daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.