• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on this seminar session?

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
Hi all...
This gentleman is an owner of a parrot supply store from birds to toys ect.
He recently gave a talk at a pet expo...
A few things I learned were about the hard water ( needing to be filtered then) and not covering seed in a container.
One thing in his talk I disagreed with was his 3 times you're out for asking a bird to step up. I've never forced a bird of mine to step up, if they didn't want to after I asked then I left them alone.
What are your thoughts on the talk? Anything you agree, disagrwe or learned about?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sorry, I don't have time to listen to this right now, but I've never heard of him so I can't comment. My vet did say that I didn't need to filter my hard water.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Never heard of him either but I will admit I don't freeze my seed thinking along the lines of what he mentioned, so it's glad I'm not the only one who has thought of that. Haven't listened to it all though.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've never forced a bird of mine to step up, if they didn't want to after I asked then I left them alone.
I never force my birds to do anything. And I don't prioritize a step up so high like a see a lot of other member here do. I think that it's other more important things to learn them first.
The first thing I learned Eliy was to fly to the kitchen wall scale so I could see her weigh. (she come to me unhealthy)
The first thing I learned Akela was to get inside a travel cage so I could get her outside to get some sun.
And none of them where tame, but still a step up was and will never be important to me. I fly train my birds and they know their name and I can anytime call them and they will come to me.
I train that because of an emergency. I can have them both in just some seconds in each travel cage. That is good training to me. A step up will never be.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I only watched to where he started talking about "discipline". I'm sorry, but there's not much he said that I agreed with and he totally lost me when he started talking about what he does if the bird doesn't step up at the third request. I didn't like him at all :(

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I didn't really like his training method. Knock your bird to the floor if it doesn't step up. No thanks. Using repeated step up as punishment doesn't make much sense to me. However one thing he said concerned me. To get sunflower seeds for treats I could only find a big bag. Would last forever, so I froze most of it with idea I could take them out as needed. I thought this would keep them from getting rancid or moldy. So , does fungus grow in freezing conditions ?? Last thing I want to cause is micotoxin poisoning

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I didn't really like his training method. Knock your bird to the floor if it doesn't step up. No thanks. Using repeated step up as punishment doesn't make much sense to me. However one thing he said concerned me. To get sunflower seeds for treats I could only find a big bag. Would last forever, so I froze most of it with idea I could take them out as needed. I thought this would keep them from getting rancid or moldy. So , does fungus grow in freezing conditions ?? Last thing I want to cause is micotoxin poisoning
The issue that I thought about and what I think he is implying is that when you freeze and thaw out your seeds you may have unintentionally given these seeds an environment which may encourage mold growth on the seeds. I'm not sure of the water activity of seeds but if you end up with moisture in the seeds then thawing them is encouraging a playground of pathogens. When you think about it many bacteria and such are shipped to research labs frozen. Freezing doesn't necessarily kill all pathogens, it prevents them from multiplying.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds to me that he is off track on some things and not other things. I knew about soy products promoting egg laying but do not agree about feeding all birds medium sized pellets. My budgies would choke. Bottled or filtered water, yes agree. Don't agree about cage covers being dangerous for small birds with half inch bar spacing. I did not watch the entire vid.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't really like his training method. Knock your bird to the floor if it doesn't step up. No thanks. Using repeated step up as punishment doesn't make much sense to me.
OMG how sad. I can't even watch it.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I need to watch this now. Will try after work. Just on two things that were touched on here. I freeze all my bird food when I get it. Not for freshness but because seed moths can be heck to get rid of when they infest your house. After a few days in freezer I take out and thaw in an open container over night. The reasoning to prevent mold from condensation. Second I offer my smaller birds large pellets in addition to small pellets. For the simple reason that they have fun with them. My parrotlets will grab hold of a large pellet and chew on. Of course it makes for a lot of wasted but I buy in bulk and not worried about cost. usually I take the "crumbs" and throw on groud for wild birds. I know they will not choke on it since parrots chew their foods.
Will watch video today though

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
I didn't watch the video and I will take a look at it once I'm off work, however, I never force my birds to step up if they don't want to, nor do i 'punish' them if they 'don't listen'... I'm very skeptical about this man......

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Yea. some stuff made sense, the rest was crap.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Last edited:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Yes the punishment is crazy. I am fascinated about the soy increasing estrogen.