• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thought I spotted a rare yellow cardinal

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I got so excited to see these beauts in my yard today. Almost flipped out thinking they were yellow cardinals but then I did a bird id search and learned they are actually Cedar Waxwings. Still very exciting cause I've never seen them before around here! Sorry for the crappy video quality. This was taken from my bathroom window with my phone.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Nice! I have drawn / painted them but never saw them in person so thanks for sharing. Even if it wasn't a yellow cardinal. ;)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I love these birds. They migrate through here in late winter It's so cool, they fly into my holly tree inn large groups for berries and the tree looks alive with all the branches wiggling violently

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
You want some of ours? We get hundreds of these little guys every spring when the mulberry tree starts putting out fruit. They hardly wait for the fruit to ripen. They sit on the branches till they touch the ground and knock off the berries, and then in droves, they all congregate on the grass and feast on the fallen berries.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You want some of ours? We get hundreds of these little guys every spring when the mulberry tree starts putting out fruit. They hardly wait for the fruit to ripen. They sit on the branches till they touch the ground and knock off the berries, and then in droves, they all congregate on the grass and feast on the fallen berries.
I meant to write this yesterday but didn't get the chance. They absolutely devoured most of the flowers on my apple tree, all in one day! It was odd because during the afternoon it was pouring rain and they just stayed right there out in the open on the branches, getting drenched, munching away. I've never seen birds do that during a storm!

I don't mind one bit letting birds go crazy with my trees but I could see how it could possibly irritate some people. I've got cherry trees and peach trees and the birds have a field day with those too. I haven't seen the waxwings at all today though. I hope it wasn't a one time thing. I hope they becone regular visitors here