• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thought I bought a male but now I'm not sure?

SuzLucas

Moving in
We recently purchased this blue budgie from Petsmart. When we picked him out we thought it was a boy. Now I'm not so sure based on what I've read. Coloring on the cere is pinkish blue but there are these wide white circles around the nostrils. This bird is also extremely affectionate with the yellow one - constantly curling in, rubbing against, cleaning the yellow one. The Yellow one returns the favor sometimes but is content without all the affection too from the blue one. We've owned the blue one for just under 2 weeks. Thoughts? TY!

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Do you know how old they are?

mak

Rollerblading along the road
I would guess it's a female but for a much better idea you need someone like @Ripshod.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
The blue one is still young, because it has ridges almost all the way down to its cere. Looks like a male to me, their Ceres usually start out pink then darken to royal blue. 680BEAA0-4943-4173-84F9-0C90B316EC98.jpeg

Last edited:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I was going to suggest female, but age can change things I think

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's really confusing sometimes especially with lighting but I'm looking at the blue one's cere very closely and rather than seeing pure white around the nares I'm seeing a blue mother-of-pearl haze. Seeing the same effect with the yellow one but not quite so developed, so yellow is physically the junior.
Congratulations, both boys!

SpaceLatte

Moving in
Real Name
Arielle
We recently purchased this blue budgie from Petsmart. When we picked him out we thought it was a boy. Now I'm not so sure based on what I've read. Coloring on the cere is pinkish blue but there are these wide white circles around the nostrils. This bird is also extremely affectionate with the yellow one - constantly curling in, rubbing against, cleaning the yellow one. The Yellow one returns the favor sometimes but is content without all the affection too from the blue one. We've owned the blue one for just under 2 weeks. Thoughts? TY!
The blue one looks quite young to tell the gender. Same thing with one of my budgies, picked it out hoping it was male and I was right! It started to turn a dark shade of blue in a couple weeks :)

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
your yellow is a rec pied male his cere will always be pink as for the blue id need a closer pic in natural light to be sure