• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This has been a super big deal here! Canuck the Crow

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I just saw Canucks FB page
He will stay at Night Owl for a few more days to rest.
His best friend (crow) has been looking all over for him I guess.

There lots of YouTube videos of him.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hope he makes a full recovery.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Dr M says he is a really special bird.
Pssst. She says that about every bird lol
Pretty sure she's right. :xflove:

I'm glad he seems to be on the mend.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm really rooting for Canuck. Crows and Ravens are my favorites. I lost my Fred last Oct. He had been a friend for seven years and I'm still tender from that loss. Here is something I wrote about him 4 years ago. They are so special and soooo darned smart.

"Fred has come back every year for five years. I don't try to tame them, because I don't want them to become too trusting of humans.

This year Fred and Edie had a baby and just this morning they brought it in for the breakfast buffet.

I've named the male Raven "Fred" and his new wife "Edie". This (2013) is Fred's fourth summer as a guest (bum). The first year he came around with his mother and a couple of siblings. I think he was a new hatch that year and his leg was already broken. It just flipped and flopped and he had a really hard time landing on a limb and catching his balance or walking around on the ground. His leg would drag and very obviously hurt him. The next year he again came back with his mom and siblings and his leg was a little better, but still flopped. The year after that he was alone and his leg had healed together enough to be stiff and some help with his balance.

This year (2013) he showed up with a mate, Edie, who dotes on Fred. His leg is as healed as it ever will be and he is a beautiful, big fully mature male Raven now."

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm really rooting for Canuck. Crows and Ravens are my favorites. I lost my Fred last Oct. He had been a friend for seven years and I'm still tender from that loss. Here is something I wrote about him 4 years ago. They are so special and soooo darned smart.

"Fred has come back every year for five years. I don't try to tame them, because I don't want them to become too trusting of humans.

This year Fred and Edie had a baby and just this morning they brought it in for the breakfast buffet.

I've named the male Raven "Fred" and his new wife "Edie". This (2013) is Fred's fourth summer as a guest (bum). The first year he came around with his mother and a couple of siblings. I think he was a new hatch that year and his leg was already broken. It just flipped and flopped and he had a really hard time landing on a limb and catching his balance or walking around on the ground. His leg would drag and very obviously hurt him. The next year he again came back with his mom and siblings and his leg was a little better, but still flopped. The year after that he was alone and his leg had healed together enough to be stiff and some help with his balance.

This year (2013) he showed up with a mate, Edie, who dotes on Fred. His leg is as healed as it ever will be and he is a beautiful, big fully mature male Raven now."
:sadhug2::heart:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Did he just not come back?

There is a place right close to me that ALL the crows and ravens in the city roost every single night. It is a spectacular site. 1000's of them. That is where Canuck sleeps.

I am a little worried if Dr M doesn't think he will make it in the wild again, that would be such a shame :( From the article, it looks like it is a possibility now. :cry:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No, one day after I hadn't seen Fred for a few days, he flew in and landed in the food that I had put out for the Ravens. He landed on his breast and flipped and flopped and rolled- both legs were gone. He ate like an alligator, flew and landed in the bird bath and got a drink, then flew off into the huge cottonwood tree across the street and propped himself in a Y. I watched him until it got too dark - he stayed there and didn't move. Fred was no longer there the next morning and I have not seen him since.

Edie still comes around with a couple of her kids. She hasn't taken another husband yet, but she has good kids that stay with her.

I miss Fred terribly, but it's nice to have Edie still come in to eat and drink and preen.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
What do you look for in markings to know its the same crow?

There is one that comes and disassembles my neighbours vine trellis for his nest lol

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would take Canuck in a minute and give him as much freedom as possible.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Edie is smaller than most of the Ravens and more gentle. She is also quite a lot gentler and doesn't immediately fly away. She always lands on the same spot on the fence. Besides she looks like Edie.

They can be real pains in the neck - like yours neighbor's. They also like to pick the stuffing out of patio furniture to make their nest.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love crows! Whenever I go walking and see one I always stop and say hello and talk to him or her. Only later do I look around and hope nobody saw me!:wacky: I'm glad to hear that Canuck might heal enough to be released. @Hankmacaw that is just heartbreaking about Fred!:(

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Obviously the guy who hit the bird needs a good whack on the head with a telephone pole in front of a whole crowd!!! See how he likes it! :angry101:

I really hope they press charges on that guy.

And I honestly really hope Canuck will make a great recovery... Poor thing..

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you for the update!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran