• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This article says not to pet a bird's neck?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I was just reading up on hormones and was surprised by this statement-

Petting the bird on the back, neck , or vent area should be avoided

I touch Blu's neck area all of the time! :facepalm:Around his cheeks, chin, and the back of his neck, to reach those hard to get pinnies. Is that sending him the wrong message? I never touch his back or vent.

That came from this article if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing
Hormonal Behavior in Companion Parrots | Beauty of Birds

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Maybe it's a typo - never heard of no petting the neck area before! I have always thought that head and neck were fine. It's the back, under the wings and vent area that are hands off.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I only touch, head neck and feet. I have read some articles that say some species should not be touched on the neck because it is part of that species mating ritual.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I only touch, head neck and feet. I have read some articles that say some species should not be touched on the neck because it is part of that species mating ritual.
I never knew that. Would be interesting to have a list as most of us enjoy getting those neck pinnies for our birb friends. To be honest though I don't see my method as petting. I just lift feathers and crack off the sheaths with fingernails. I never really rub or ruffle feathers like I've seen some do.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I think for most birds the neck is fine. I only ever touch Chirp's beak (he gives the best kissies) and sometimes his toes. When he hangs on the door of his cage and I need to open it, I tell him
'I'm gonna kiss your toes!" and he flies off the door. It's super cute. He doesn't let me touch his neck or head though, I wish he would let me get his pinnies.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I agree with @Ripshod. It would be interesting to have a list of which birds not to touch there. I had never heard that before.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'd like to have one too, they don't list them, they just say "some species". Its confusing. maybe IRNS are on the list. I pet Kiwi's neck and I can't go near her without her posturing.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I hadn't heard that either and would love a species break down for it. I scratch the back of Jenks's neck, head, and feet all the time. I did the same with Aries too. Only those areas is what I have always been told/read.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I say that never pet them. Not on any areas at all.
Ok, their feet will be ok, if you want to get bitten. :D

To preen them and to pet them are not the same thing.
If you see them in the wild they only accept their mate that close contact that we give them if we pet them.
But they preen each other without that having any sexual meaning.

So if they bow, preen their head, cheeks and neck. But never touch them more then that if they are hormonal and wants you as a mate.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I just scratch pin feathers and do a pinching motion along his head, if that makes sense. Allopreening among friends. Rupert preens my hands the best he can. Sometimes he preens my hair.

I do have my hand cupped on my lap and he hustles over to cozy up for a nap. I don't believe this is sexual. I do my best not to move my hand. Usually I can scratch his head a little in this position. Conures love being smushed up against each other, so it's probably what he's trying to do.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Just coincidentally I filmed the way I touch Blu nightly, last night. Is this bad to do? I preen when there's pin feathers but since he doesn't have many right now I just run my fingers through his head and neck and chin feathers.

I am pretty concerned now because he totally thinks I'm his mate and , with this hormonal phase we've been dealing with lately, he's been very very bitey because he's constantly trying to mate with my hands and arms and I get attacked when I don't cooperate

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Just coincidentally I filmed the way I touch Blu nightly, last night. Is this bad to do? I preen when there's pin feathers but since he doesn't have many right now I just run my fingers through his head and neck and chin feathers.

I am pretty concerned now because he totally thinks I'm his mate and , with this hormonal phase we've been dealing with lately, he's been very very bitey because he's constantly trying to mate with my hands and arms and I get attacked when I don't cooperate
Oh my goodness, he's so cute!:faint: That looks like normal, petting to me!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi would like it if I never touch her again lol. She wants to be an inch from my face and neck, just hanging out on my shoulder, but she doesn't want any hands. I ask and very carefully touch her beak. That's it. When she was younger I was able to do her pinnies, but now, no. Just no Mom.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think so, but maybe if Blu is extra hormonal just shorten the petting a bit? I’m not really sure. I thought it was okay, but @Eloy was thinking maybe not? I pet cappuccino kind of like you pet Blu, but Cappuccino doesn’t really get hormonal.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

That is so cute! :xflove: I think if a bird is very hormonal then petting should be avoided! A scratch is only bonding time!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ok, I guess we shouldn't do that then :(
It's going to be really hard not to though because it's part of our nightly ritual and he demands it. He literally nips me to tell me to do it. :rolleyes:

I appreciate all of the responses, thank you everyone!!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Ok, I guess we shouldn't do that then :(
It's going to be really hard not to though because it's part of our nightly ritual and he demands it. He literally nips me to tell me to do it. :rolleyes:
If that only happens once a day and it's a part of his bedtime ritual I would continue with it.
To refuse it would just be cruel as that "pet time" don't lead to any sexual or hormonal act.
That is preening to me, not petting.
Adorable video! ♥

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
If that only happens once a day and it's a part of his bedtime ritual I would continue with it.
To refuse it would just be cruel as that "pet time" don't lead to any sexual or hormonal act.

That is preening to me, not petting.
Adorable video! ♥

Thanks, JT! That's such a relief because I would feel cruel not snuggling all of a sudden too.