• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of getting another bird...

ludba

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I've been reading posts on AA for a while now, but decided to make an account today! We have a wonderful 3.5 year old tiel, Frosty, and before him we had budgies. We're looking to add a new fid to the family soon, but having trouble figuring out what to choose among the amazing options. Preferably, we'd like the bird to be really playful, not just bond to one person, and not loud. We live in an apartment so noisy is ok in the sense that they're talking a lot, but loud is not good, if that makes sense. We were looking into a caique, because from my research, it checked all the boxes, but was a little expensive, so we're exploring other options. Do you guys have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe a GCC, but the only downside is I've heard it bonds with one person more than others. Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum :)

Be careful buying a bird that ¨is not loud¨.

Have you considered a budgie?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Caiques are very cute but have you ever met one in person? I'm not usually that sensitive to loudness but something about the tone of their shriek is very hard to me to imagine living with.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Caiques are very cute but have you ever met one in person? I'm not usually that sensitive to loudness but something about the tone of their shriek is very hard to me to imagine living with.
I was going to suggest lovebirds, but they are a lottery, they can be as quiet as a mouse or scream and it hits your bones! hehe
Aldoras mating call is something of a native american war cry X10!!!

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I also think another cockatiel would be your best bet. It will also be easier to take care of two of the same species because they are more likely to get along.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Caique’s seem to be very nippy. I thought about a caique then read the info on this forum & said no way no how.

If you are looking for a different bird & slightly larger - the poicephalus group is great. Senegal, Jardine, Meyers & Rüppel. I personally owned a Senegal & Rüppel both were quiet (aside from an occasional yell) & were friendly with everyone-even strangers.
Just a thought.

ludba

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all for your responses :hug8: We recently found out about a new bird shop that opened locally, and after visiting, I fell in love with a golden conure (Queen of Bavaria), but unfortunately a bit out of our price range:( We did spend time with the other birds, and although I didn't feel a bond like I did with the golden conure (as soon as I picked him up, he waddled to my shoulder and started hanging upside down and asking for itches:omg:), they were all sweet. They did not have caiques, but they directed us to an individual who was looking to rehome a baby caique (only 3 months old!!) because of family issues due to which they could no longer care for the bird. I will probably visit the caique at least to see if he likes me, and if he doesn't....more research it is!:lol:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Guess you are not taking advice. I will go out on a limb and pray this is not another rehome for the bird if you get it.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Personally, I would get another Cockatiel. It would be good for the birds.
Most all babies are sweet and cuddle. They grow up.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wanted to give you a big :welcome2: and I can't wait to see your new addition to your home...
Do you have any 'Frosty pics' you can share with us?
I would bet Frosty would love another Cockatiel if that is your choice as well.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
All birds are loud. The quietest is probably a female cockatiel.

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
My GCC Gracie thinks she is a Sun and can be loud. She is overly bonded to me and tolerated my husband and daughter. If she can’t see me she screams, if I am late taking her out of her cage, she screams. She is very moody but I love her. Have you considered getting another Cockatiel?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I totally forgot about lineolated parakeets. I've read they are pretty quiet most of the time. (lower chirp volume then most other birds)

They arent usually hands on birds though, they don't like scritches but I could be wrong, this is just what i read. Never had one :]

They should be able to have outside supervised play time with a cockatiel. budgies also. But another cockatiel would make your current bird the happiest.