• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking ahead...

Misters mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
We have spent the last month looking for a house and all that goes with buying one and are now set to close on the house next week and I was wondering if there is anything we can go to make the move easier for Mister? Also what behaviors should we watch out for after the move? I've spent so much time getting him use to how our daily lives go here in this apartment and now we're going to be changing a lot of that. Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I haven't had that particular challenge yet, though I hope to soon. Is Mister pretty good with change? If so, this could be easier than expected. :fingerscrossed:

Can you try to stick to your current routine as much as possible? Put everything back in his cage the same, feed the same things at the same time? Doea he have favorite treats, toys or games he loves? You could do more of those for a little while. :) A new house might be a little scary, but maybe when he sees that Mom still sings the same songs to him and he gets lots of nuts, it might be easier.

Does he travel well? You could try taking him to different places so he gets used to seeing different sights. Or you could make changes at home, as much as he's comfortable with. Try moving his cage to another room or if that's too much for him, move it a couple of feet per day or just turn it? Or change his toys and perch positions? Can you rearrange your furniture in the rooms he can see or start by swapping a few pieces?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Congrats on the new house, how exciting. :starshower1::starshower:

Did they do new carpet, paint, and appliances in the house? I know those are three things to look out for. Make sure to air the house out really well prior to bringing Mister over and if the stove is new you might want to run it to the max days before you bring him over so it can burn anything off.

Misters mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
We are still waiting for final approval from the underwriter but I can answer since questions...... The carpet isn't new but is only in the living room, the stove and refrigerator are newer but already used.

As for routine, that already has a wrench in it as the place I was working closed down and I am now home even more (good thing I'm not on the loan). He doesn't seem to like change much, tends to get "nippy" when we rearrange.....especially his cage, but he does like to get new toys (just don't take the old out). He seemed to travel alright but I've only ever taken him from the pet store to our apartment and he sat on me, looking out the window, the whole way. He doesn't seem to mind being outdoors (he "helped" me take the dog out this summer) but it's much colder now than when he came home and had his "walk."

We play games and he loves pistachios and grapes and blueberries. Those are the treats he gets when he's being a good boy. We've just gotten him to a point where he doesn't feel we have to be in n the same room as him every moment he's awake and I'm really hoping that moving won't revert us back to that.

Misters mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Update: Mister is at our new house and seems to be loving it. We didn't end up getting approved for the house i originally posted about. The house we got only has carpet in a very short hallway between bedrooms. He didn't the first couple days hiding in his cage but is now coming down to chase me, my girls and the dog around. I'll have to try to get a video or pics soon. I think he likes the house better than our old apartment!