• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about parrotlet rescue

Nycbird

Moving in
Hello I'm new to this forum. I'm sure I will learn something new every day. I currently own 3 budgies, they are wonderful but was interested in getting a parrotlet. I was talking to a breeder and was going to see about getting one when I came across on petfinder one that needs to be rescued. I understand it is more work to own a parrotlet vs budgies but this particular one is 7 years old and a feather plucker and was surrendered by the owner I think about a month ago and is currently residing with a rescue group. I would rather rescue than buy from a breeder but am I setting myself up for difficult situation since this bird obviously has problems and is older and who knows what trauma he has been through. Is it a bad idea that the budgies are around? The rescue didn't seem to think so. The rescue requires several visits and in depth application so I have time to think about it. But would like to know more from parrotlet owners regarding behavior and if it will be too much for a novice owner. Thank you in advance!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I don't have parrotlets, so I'm not much help there, but I just wanted to mention that many rescues require that you visit the bird at least twice before bringing him/her home. So maybe you could meet this parrotlet and see if he/she clicks with you.

It would be wonderful if you could give this rescue bird a home. :heart:

Edit: Also, maybe if you were to watch some videos on 'training' birds, you would have the confidence to take on a more challenging bird. I always think of training more as a way of communicating with your bird. I highly recommend Barbara Heindenreich. Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media
Webinar #8 focuses on rescue birds and is totally free! :)

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I agree meet the parrotlet and do your research on training and behavior.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Also if you are committed and can accept the fact that the parrotlet may always pluck then you should be able to handle the situation if you and the bird click.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrotlets are very spirited and can be quite feisty, so I agree with meeting and researching first. If you think you can handle the little one, go for it!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I have two parrotlets and they can be biters! Mine are gentle but I've seen others who have had their hands pierced all the way through. That said, they are super loving and devoted. Compared to budges they are similar in size, sometimes smaller in both weight and length. Each one has a different personality. Mine are pretty calm and are like bigger birds and are the bullies in the room, they hate being bothered by my babies. Carmen will bite anyone if annoyed and you don't read her body language correctly (we've gotten to know it well!) and Diablo, our other parrotlet, is a sweetheart that has never pierced skin and even our budgie took a chunk out of my daughter! LOL (hormones)

Meet the parrotlet a few times and get to know him/her, then decide. I love mine so much and I can't imagine life without them. Carmen wasn't was rescue but I bought her from a pet shop where she had been pretty abused. She was super duper scared in the beginning and it took a while (over 2 months) for us to gain her trust but once you've got it...it's forever!

Nycbird

Moving in
Thank you, I am reading up on and watching YouTube videos on parrotlets. It is both intriguing and intimidating at the same time. I find myself wanting the challenge because that's just my nature. But am also fearful that he may be too aggressive for my family. I also don't want my Budgies to become fearful of coming out of their cage. Am I correct in assuming that they wouldn't be able to be out at the same time? Would that be dangerous? I will put my application in and pay a few visits and decide. But any other informational advice is helpful!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
IMG_0735.JPG Diablo left, Carmen right. Preening to be beautiful all the time. So cute!

I would have to say Diablo is definitely a sweetheart. He loves strawberries, melons, broccoli, every leafy green, most crunchy fruit, peppers, etc. I shop about 2 or 3 times a week to assure they eat fresh veggies that are crisp and organic. He isn't aggressive alone. Once they bond with you, they love you forever. But they are related to the Amazon and their temperament is similar to them except with a small bird complex (budgie). So basically calm, grooms most of the day, takes cat naps, bathes, plays, chews forever, rides on my shoulder, insists on "sccritches" using his beak but gently or chirps and bends over. We all love him. Would die if anything happened to him. Diablo weighs 29mg and is shorter/stockier than Sola (budgie) who is at 31mg.

You'll do great if you had budgies. They are super smart and not as "jumpy" as Sola or maybe Sola is just that way?

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would not let them out at the same time. Once your parrotlet has been around for awhile he will be territorial and won't want the budgies in his "space," which is everywhere.

I have a little male parrotlet that was supposed to be hand tame but wasn't. He will fly where I tell him and perch where I tell him, but he won't let me touch him. Landing on my head or shoulder is fine as long as it's his idea. In my case, the 2 bigger birds chase him and he doesn't chase anyone, in fact it seems like he wants to befriend the tiels but they are afraid of him.

I think you'll be fine; the bird will know you rescued it and appreciate you. I say go for it!

Nycbird

Moving in
Thanks that's what I was wondering. I knew they are territorial but I had heard mostly with their cage but wasn't sure it also meant also the outside space. I will visit with it and see if he will be a good fit.

Nycbird

Moving in
View attachment 257172 Diablo left, Carmen right. Preening to be beautiful all the time. So cute!

I would have to say Diablo is definitely a sweetheart. He loves strawberries, melons, broccoli, every leafy green, most crunchy fruit, peppers, etc. I shop about 2 or 3 times a week to assure they eat fresh veggies that are crisp and organic. He isn't aggressive alone. Once they bond with you, they love you forever. But they are related to the Amazon and their temperament is similar to them except with a small bird complex (budgie). So basically calm, grooms most of the day, takes cat naps, bathes, plays, chews forever, rides on my shoulder, insists on "sccritches" using his beak but gently or chirps and bends over. We all love him. Would die if anything happened to him. Diablo weighs 29mg and is shorter/stockier than Sola (budgie) who is at 31mg.

You'll do great if you had budgies. They are super smart and not as "jumpy" as Sola or maybe Sola is just that way?

Nycbird

Moving in
Your 2 are beautiful I also do that for my budgies, fresh vegetables and fruit though so far they don't seem to like any fruit, go figure but like green veggies. If I get the parrotlet I would do the same. But that is good knowing that each has its personality and would not necessarily be as aggressive as some.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Great idea! Good luck! By the way, Carmen wasn't cage territorial until we got Diablo. She got along well with the lovebird and budgie fine. It wasn't until we got Diablo for her (we do not plan on reproducing) that she is happier but now is territorial. If they are on one side of the room, as long as the other two stay away, they are super happy. If anyone comes into a 6 inch distance, they are good at letting the intruder know way before any fighting. Our lovebird likes to go and be included with Carmen like before so badly he keeps getting scolded. All but Carmen are flighted so they have lots and lots of space to have. The parrotlets do not fly out of their area to attack. Just defend where they are sitting and their food.