• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking About Getting Macaw

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
I‘m thinking about getting Macaw. Any suggestions or advice?

Conure101

No I haven’t. I don’t know any Pet stores, Rescues, or Owners who have them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Depending on where you're located, rescues often have macaws. There are many in need of good homes and good owners, but they're a big responsibility and expense. They need large cages, big toys, etc. So definitely not something to be undertaken without a lot of thought and research.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
If you aren't used to being around and handling large animals you don't want a macaw. Some times handling Blu is a trickier task than I had handling horses and mules. He can be moodier than any mule I ever owned. It has taken me almost 2 years to learn how to read his body language and recognize an imminent bite or attack. A macaw has a bite force between 500 and 700 psi - the strongest dog bite measured is 328 psi. Just a fact to consider.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you aren't used to being around and handling large animals you don't want a macaw. Some times handling Blu is a trickier task than I had handling horses and mules. He can be moodier than any mule I ever owned. It has taken me almost 2 years to learn how to read his body language and recognize an imminent bite or attack. A macaw has a bite force between 500 and 700 psi - the strongest dog bite measured is 328 psi. Just a fact to consider.
Post your arm bite again here.... I know that would deter me even if it was free!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If the cost of the bird alone is enough to make you second guess the idea, don't do it. Macaws are expensive, and they are consistently expensive. Prepare to shell out thousands for a cage, thousands in vet bills, thousands in toys and food and enrichment...

The larger the bird, the higher the costs surrounding their care. I've probably spent more on my macaw in a year than I have on my cockatiel in five years, and that's excluding all the vet trips I've had to bring him on because he's a klutz.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
No I haven’t. I don’t know any Pet stores, Rescues, or Owners who have them.
They cost to much anyway. Just a thought.
If I am reading your icons right, you have a golden conure? I am surprised you found a golden conure and having trouble finding a place with macaws. Also typically in the California, golden conures are more expensive than your common macaws.

Personally, if I had room for a larger bird. I would get a blue and gold or a green wing but that is just my preference. All the Catalinas I run into are sweet too so maybe them since they are half blue and gold, its the Scarlet in them that makes me wary.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I noticed the golden conure icon too.. we need pictures!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I noticed the golden conure icon too.. we need pictures!
Will be my next species if I get a bigger place. I think 3 birds is enough for my townhouse. I could get away with it but I wont push it with the noise level, 2 sun conure and a golden would be a little much for noise and goldens are louder lol, just less frequent. Just gotta be considerate for the neighbors. I do play with goldens at least once a week.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Will be my next species if I get a bigger place. I think 3 birds is enough for my townhouse. I could get away with it but I wont push it with the noise level, 2 sun conure and a golden would be a little much for noise and goldens are louder lol, just less frequent. Just gotta be considerate for the neighbors. I do play with goldens at least once a week.
I thought a while back you were bringing one home. I agree, they are REALLY loud and exactly why I don't have one. I do know someone with a federal license so it would be easy to get one... but I'm at my limit and it's noisy enough here for me. They are beautiful just as your suns are!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I thought a while back you were bringing one home. I agree, they are REALLY loud and exactly why I don't have one. I do know someone with a federal license so it would be easy to get one... but I'm at my limit and it's noisy enough here for me. They are beautiful just as your suns are!
I would love one, just dont think I would have the time since the 3 I have now.are velcro birds. And the suns and the lovebird cant be together because the suns hate her.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is what a ticked off macaw can do - as requested by @Mockinbirddiva. View attachment 313324
Yep.... good enough reason for me! Though I do have two amazons that can leave a nasty mark. When Henry is in attack mode he rips through a pine 2x4 tearing hunks off. I'd hate to think what he could do if he actually got a hold of me. It wouldn't be pretty..

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
No stitches and it's healed very well in the 2 months since it happened. He jumped up off my arm and came down with tail feathers under his own feet. He thought I was pulling them and bit me. Top beak went in my arm over 1/2 inch deep. I got him on the floor and he stepped back up like nothing happened. It was a purely defensive move on his part - not a vicious attack. Here's my arm 2 days ago.
0819191105.jpg

Attachments

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Accidents like that keep me from wanting a macaw, and make me feel like a nutcase for wanting a cockatoo..Even if they don't mean at all to hurt you, the sheer size of their beak can do amazing damage!

Conure101

I have done in my free time extensive amounts of research on them and know they can be loud, destructive, messy, and very expensive the cage alone can cost $500. So like I Said probably best to just think about it LOL.