• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about getting an IRN

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
Indian Ringneck is 1 bird on my list of possibilities

I have read the Good the Bad & the Ugly & other posts about the IRN's.
I have seen some say they can be noisy (yes I know any bird can be noisy) but others say they are quiet.

My question is what do they sound like?
Do they have that little parakeet chirp? What do people mean when they say loud scream?
I have a sun conure that can be really loud (ear piercing) & I have had a Macaw.
I am use to noisy parrots just not a fan of the parakeet chirp.
Sorry parakeet lovers IMO that is more annoying than a conures high pitch scream.
I think IRN's are beautiful & have a chance of getting blue babies this spring.

Birds on my list
INR or other ringneck (maybe an Alexandrine)
Pionus
Hahn's Macaw
Senagal/Meyers

Any suggestions or info about the ringnecks would be great appreciated.

:thanks:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
IRNs do not have the budgie "chirp"...the sound they make is more like a "eeeah" (higher pitch) rather than a "cherrup" (lower pitch), like most budgies do.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
Here's a youtube video of one, and yes, you can hear this outside your house. I don't find it irritating, but some people do.
Thank you for sharing that you tube video. That is what I was looking for on youtube & I didn't see this one.
I'm not worried about the bird being hear outside. I have a house & there is room in between the houses.
That isn't like the little parakeets. I appreciate your help.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I can hear my IRNs two houses away even when the doors/windows are closed. lol The sound is much louder than the video can show you, and they can be relentless with the screaming at times. But if you're used to a Sun conure, then maybe you can handle it. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sylphie the ARN sounds similar, and to me, her noises are *much* more pleasant on the ears than say, Charlie, the mitred conure, or even a sun conure! Sylphie doesn't make a lot of noise, but I do love the nosies that she does make! Very unique and different!

kerrielou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
kerrielou
Here's a youtube video of one, and yes, you can hear this outside your house. I don't find it irritating, but some people do.
Wow! Echo has never called like this. Her shriek is actually louder and shriekier, if that can be a thing, but it's solitary. She only does it when she wants something and she'll do it about every 5-45 seconds and she does not give up. I've let her do it for more than an hour and it just never seems to end until she either gets what she wants or gets distracted by something else. The fact there are these long pregnant pauses in between almost make it worse, because you keep thinking, maybe that was the last one. Yeah, no.

It's basically like your smoke alarm at full blast (okay not that bad, but pretty close), but only going off at intervals similar to when it's warning you the battery is low. It's incredibly difficult to ignore, because of the silence in between shrieks. We also have a tiel and used to have a male tiel that I thought was incredibly annoying. While they will sometimes just go off all afternoon, they're not as loud as Echo. On the other hand, Echo shrieks because she wants something. If it's something she can have or maybe even needs, then it can be pretty simple to turn it off just by satisfying her with a snack, toy, location change, or a little attention.

Echo's happy vocalizations are fairly quiet and very cute. Occasionally she tries to talk, but nothing recognizable. I have no problem with her happy sounds.

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
The fact there are these long pregnant pauses in between almost make it worse, because you keep thinking, maybe that was the last one. Yeah, no.
Finally, someone who agrees with me on this :rofl: She'd be quiet if I hand fed her almonds over a 6 hr period though :bash: Overall I don't find it terribly annoying and I understand I'd probably want to scream if I heard someone just waking up or getting home too even if I had toys and music to entertain me.

kerrielou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
kerrielou
Finally, someone who agrees with me on this :rofl: She'd be quiet if I hand fed her almonds over a 6 hr period though :bash: Overall I don't find it terribly annoying and I understand I'd probably want to scream if I heard someone just waking up or getting home too even if I had toys and music to entertain me.
Well, Echo has no such excuse since I'm home all day, but yeah, I'm totally with you that if I fed her almonds all day long she'd probably never shriek :rofl:

The worst is when she's visiting the tiel in the front room and I have the insane notion of taking a nap. Without fail, and this is 100% on me, I lay there, literally believing every shriek is the last one, when of course it never is. The only reason I'm reluctant to bring her back into the office\bedroom, is that I know I will spend the rest of "nap time" listening to her very noisily trying to get sunflower seeds out of her foraging wheel, or worse, she'll climb down onto the floor and up onto the bed and very tentatively "nudge" me awake to entertain her.

Every once in awhile I forget to close the side door to her cage when I go to bed at night. Those are the mornings Echo climbs up I don't know what, and very gently and tentatively, beaks me awake. So far I've not thrown her across the room, but I've come mighty close, and she seems to understand the danger. Those mornings we both end up sitting there hyperventilating at one another pretending whatever just happened didn't really happen. I go make her her usual breakfast feast and she gratefully returns to her cage area.

A few times she has come round and very gently beaked my arm as I've been working\typing. She's not looking for cuddles, but she does want to be entertained. If I don't, there's gonna be trouble. Like, my keyboard is suddenly going to be sans a few keys trouble, so I generally comply by fishing out a Japanese puzzle eraser from my drawer for her to destroy

Last edited:

kerrielou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
kerrielou
Welp, since posting Echo has turned into a total chatterbox. The last few weeks she starts early in the morning and often makes the calls in the video you posted for what feels like hours. It is soooo loud, but we're getting used to it. She is also starting to talk A LOT! We can identify her saying Echo and what'cha doin, but she chatters all kinds of other stuff we aren't sure about. She whistled a song a couple days ago, but I couldn't place it. She is also now mimicking the dog's whining.

I'm assuming this is because it is spring. She literally went from virtually silent to never shutting up overnight. I'm hoping as she learns to say more things she shrieks less. She absolutely loves to be talked to.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Have you considered an Alexandrine? I had one for 2 1/2 years until he flew off. awesome bird.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
I was just about to look for this exact video too!! Melon always responds to this video every time I play it!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan never really had this type of call...but his sister did. :)
IRNs do not have the budgie "chirp"...the sound they make is more like a "eeeah" (higher pitch) rather than a "cherrup" (lower pitch), like most budgies do.
I had the description down pretty good...:):)