• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about future

Nala92

Meeting neighbors
we have 5 birds at the moment. (Staying that way…) and sometimes I think about the future. My boyfriend and I are talking about kids. The birds are mine, and from all 5, just one is MY bird, Nala. Well, I guess I am her person. She willing tolerate my boyfriend.

When I think about the future; kids and feathered kids, I am like: how will I do that?
Nala is out when my boyfriend is upstairs or just out.

Does anyone have experience? Is there a chance Nala will see a possible kid as just an extension of me? I know I am overthinking this, it may not even happen. Just a scary thought.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have two sons; a 9 year old and a 4 year old. I've had birds their entire lives, though not all the same birds. My Jardine's doesn't really like kids unfortunately, and my linnie likes the kids more than he likes me ;) My Quaker used to bite my oldest's fingers to make him drop his food so he could steal it, and my green cheek was happy to be with anyone.

They are all such individuals that it's impossible to know. My kids give the birds a wide berth because they have been taught to do so. You may need to make adjustments to ensure everyone's happiness and safety.

The biggest piece of advice I have is to just trust yourself to make things work. A baby is going to upturn your lives in such dramatic but wonderful ways that no one will ever be able to tell you in a way that you can truly fathom until you live it. Stressing about it now won't change that :)

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I second what @mizzley said you can try plan ahead as much as you can for a baby but nothing prepares you for the massive wonderful amazing changes babies bring to your lives until you live it

you just have to trust yourself to do the right thing for everyone

it’s like fetching a new bird home you never know if it will work adding to the flock you just have to see if that’s decision you make
But a babies 1000000000000 times more a change but a change that fetches such wonderful things even if a bit scary

Nala92

Meeting neighbors
Thank you both for your sweet repies. I am an overthinker. Love my birds and I want to prepare as much as possible. But I don't think I can prepare. Some stuff I need to try to let go.