• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about cutting flights

SarahPolson

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Of course, the parrots are fearful, but they quickly get used to everything, my boy loves the vacuum cleaner very much, for him it's like an park of attractions.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I love to perch high on an open (all the time) door that has a door blanket over the top. I fly up there frequently and just relax up high. I fly down to my food place anytime I want. I also fly down to the floor to play and to my house in another room when I want a rest. every time mum sees me fly or even just hears my wings she praises me and says "wonderful flying my darling". mum calls me her wonderful fly boy. being told that I fly really well is all the treat I need to get me to do lots of flying every day. I know that I feel healthier when I fly lots.

AKahle6868

Strolling the yard
I understand your concern but what does your YSGCC do when he is up high. Is he terrified? Is he preening happily and taking in his surroundings? My GCC is flighted and sometimes flys in top of the curtain rod and I will immediately get her down because her body language tells me she isn’t happy. Does he step up happily when you retrieve him? And after you retrieve him how soon after does he fly back to the high spot? How long have you had him? I don’t think clipping is the answer but I wonder if he is flying high from fear. I would try bringing him out with a high valuation treat as an incentive to stay with you (fruit, nuts) if he flys up, retrieve him with the food but don’t put him away. Keep him with you and maybe try a tabletop perch or play stand on a counter or table (not on the ground or low) Keep an eye on the surroundings to make sure nothing is spooking him (loud tv, other animals, kids, etc.)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is an old post from 2015. The original poster last logged in at the end of May 2018.