• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about a hamster.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My hamsters likes to run around the room(usually the table though while making sure they couldn’t reach the edges) one time my hamster his in the laundry and I couldn’t find him anywhere! One of them(I have had three, but not at the same time) liked to be on my lap and in my hand, one did not and the other one lived when I was very young. They love to chew and my last one loved to climb too(he had a cage that was partially Made of bars and he would climb that a lot!). They loved tunnels, the cage we had could be extended with tunnels to little huts and such, they really liked that. They had a little hut in the top which was filled with Some cosy bedding, they would sometimes hide food there and make a Nice little sleeping spot. I loved my hamsters a lot, they are great little animals! You Will have a lot of fun with one of those Guys around! There are also little runs available, you can put them on the floor/table so they can’t Climb out but still play around. I would love to have a hamster again one time in my life, they are so cute!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
My daughter and I were at a bird store where they have cool lizards, snakes and little furry cute rodents. There was one who caught our attention for over 15 minutes. This little tiny dwarf hamster looked like they was begging us to let him out. Both of this two pays were together like he was begging and would follow us around the cage in that position. We wouldn't let him out so he climbed to the highest point in his tank/acquarium and jumped over and over so he could try to grab the mesh ceiling. He would alternate between what looked like begging us to let him out or trying to escape. The last I saw, he was almost out (not really) he was hanging upside down in his cage by the mesh ceiling in his cage and looking at us like "I don't need you." He was so cute! The size of my pinkie, white with brown and black spots like a calico cat and he was too cute!!

I would get a hamster now that I saw that one little guy's antics. He was funny. I imagine he would follow you around once he became your friend. I vote hamster. That one was too cute!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Ok, so I have an idea: there's this big plastic bin I have, measures 12 by 19, 228 square inches. I could put 2 together, and connect them with those plastic critter trail tubes. Sound like a good idea?

These bins have 4 strong locks/clip thingies, and the bins are pretty thick plastic. I'm planning on putting SS mesh (1/2inch) on the fronts and backs of each container, attached with zip ties.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Something I didn't even think of - I know these guys don't live very long, it's what, maybe 3 years if you're really lucky? And I'm terrible with death. I don't think that I could handle it. So I think maybe a hamster wouldn't be right for me. At least not right now.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Something I didn't even think of - I know these guys don't live very long, it's what, maybe 3 years if you're really lucky? And I'm terrible with death. I don't think that I could handle it. So I think maybe a hamster wouldn't be right for me. At least not right now.
Ahw I understand!:hug8: Your idea does sound really good though, I don’t know if I remember correctly but I think Maybe one of mine was 5? Maybe I exaggerate and it was 4? But still not very old:(

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm sad now. I was sitting in front of the bird while I was typing and he was looking at me like "why are you sad? Don't be sad! " so I think I'll get him a little something.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Oh...my daughter took a video of that hamster. I'm going to try to upload. Maybe you can tell me what type of hamster it is but I'm pretty sure he was a dwarf hamster (no tail) and his little hands where always folded together (i.e., the begging look). LOL

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw feel better soon!:sadhug2: Give Chrip a few extra birdie kisses:heart: Maybe there are any rescues near you that have hamsters? I know there are Some that are specifically for guinea pigs and/or rabbits in the Netherlands. Maybe you could volunteer there once a week or month, though there might still be little hamsters who don’t make it to their new home.
I can’t see the video though Liz! I would love to, hamsters are so cute! My hamsters were all Siberian hamsters I think, little hands and tails and they all had a stripe on their back(my last one was Named Streep(=stripe), very original:lol:)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hamsters are bitey, mean (esp the males) solitary and nocturnal animals and do not make good pets, in my opinion and experience. Guinea pigs are social, hardly ever bite and are not nocturnal. Much better pets.

However, the BEST small animal pet is the rat. If handled from infancy they are loving, loyal and easily handled.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love ratties! I'd always had one at a time growing up until I learned how much they need each other. They are happier and just as easy to socialize in (pairs or more). I found 3 was the best number for me.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Hamsters are bitey, mean (esp the males) solitary and nocturnal animals and do not make good pets, in my opinion and experience. Guinea pigs are social, hardly ever bite and are not nocturnal. Much better pets.

However, the BEST small animal pet is the rat. If handled from infancy they are loving, loyal and easily handled.
Ive had hamster none ever where mean, being as rats are a problem here only way Id get one is to feed something else as they are disease carriers

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I haven’t had bitey or mean hamsters either, tho I had one or 2 that occasionally bit.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I'm a gerbil kinda girl.

They are cute little fuzzballs.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I've had two hamsters, one was Laid back and the other was very friendly and was always trying to sleep in my pockets :hehe:!

I've heard gerbils and degus are pretty sweet as well as rats (also very intelligent and empathetic).

Chinchillas, though they are bigger and cost more.

Bunny rabbits, I had a pet bunny (Netherlands dwaf) very sweet and playful.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yes! I thought about rabbits yesterday to and wanted to mention it. Rabbits can easily live into their teens, Some reach 18. They are AMAZING! They are smart, can be cuddly, and are super cute! If you house train them, they can run and play around the house without accidents happening(well a few accident Will still happen of course). I have had mostly big rabbits, but now have two small ones. I really love them, one of my rabbits would always cuddle up against me and the other one would play games with me and did a few tricks. Maybe they are something for you?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh yeah I forgot:o: That wouldn’t be a good match:banghead:
It’s ok Robin! I have a hunting breed (cocker spaniel) and we have to do bunny patrol 8 times a day... she rips my arm off if she sees one.. I don’t get to stop thinking about this, EVER. :pinklol2:

Oh and silly me. When she was a baby I was going to train this hunting thing out of her, so she wouldn’t chase the birds.