• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about a hamster.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I just started a thread about guinea pigs, but I quickly realized that they are not suitable to our situation.

A hamster sounds far more possible. My dad said he will think about it. So I'd like to know:
  • What would be a good cage? Can I diy one with a plastic container? Or would something like the 1 level critter nation cage be good?
  • What bedding to use? Would carefresh be okay?
  • What to feed? What brand of pellets?
  • Toys, hides, etc recommendations?
  • Wheel made of wire or should I get a solid plastic one?
I don't know much about the guys, but I'm enchanted by them and I'm more than willing to learn how to give a hamster the best life possible.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Carefresh is what we use. We do oxbow pellets and provide hay. Some veggies sparingly..nothing too ‘wet’ so they don’t get wet tail.

We do the solid wheels so their feet don’t get stuck.

Gosh, I have too many animals.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Hamsters are awesome! My sister has a long hair Syrian hamster, and he is such a sweet little guy! We adopted him from Craigslist, poor guy was in a tiny cage with a wheel that he couldn't fit in!

We made Hambert's cage out of a large plastic bin. We cut a hole in the top of the lid, and zip tied a baking rack to the top. You want the bin to be tall, so they can't reach the top. We tried with a shorter one, and Ham could reach the lid and started chewing holes in the top! My sis uses carefresh, and that works pretty good.

Don't get a wire or mesh wheel, those are bad for their feet! A plastic one is good. You need to make sure the wheel is big enough so their back doesn't bend while running.

Hambert really likes his huts. He has 3 of them right now, lol. He will chew on little wood pieces. My sister's previous dwarf hamster LOVED balsa. I used to make him little toilet paper huts too, and he would shred them from the inside out! I haven't made one for Ham yet.... I can't find a nice shaped base that is big enough, LOL.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Carefresh is what we use. We do oxbow pellets and provide hay. Some veggies sparingly..nothing too ‘wet’ so they don’t get wet tail.

We do the solid wheels so their feet don’t get stuck.

Gosh, I have too many animals.
Sounds good!

Hamsters are awesome! My sister has a long hair Syrian hamster, and he is such a sweet little guy! We adopted him from Craigslist, poor guy was in a tiny cage with a wheel that he couldn't fit in!

We made Hambert's cage out of a large plastic bin. We cut a hole in the top of the lid, and zip tied a baking rack to the top. You want the bin to be tall, so they can't reach the top. We tried with a shorter one, and Ham could reach the lid and started chewing holes in the top! My sis uses carefresh, and that works pretty good.

Don't get a wire or mesh wheel, those are bad for their feet! A plastic one is good. You need to make sure the wheel is big enough so their back doesn't bend while running.

Hambert really likes his huts. He has 3 of them right now, lol. He will chew on little wood pieces. My sister's previous dwarf hamster LOVED balsa. I used to make him little toilet paper huts too, and he would shred them from the inside out! I haven't made one for Ham yet.... I can't find a nice shaped base that is big enough, LOL.
That cage idea is great! Much more doable than a 200 dollar cage! Do these guys like lots of room to run and play? Just trying to figure out what footprint container I'd need to look for. :)

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I had hamsters years ago in the critter trail cages all they ever did was chew the bars all night even though they had a wheel and a ton of tunnels if i ever got another one i wouldnt use those cages

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I had hamsters years ago in the critter trail cages all they ever did was chew the bars all night even though they had a wheel and a ton of tunnels if i ever got another one i wouldnt use those cages
I would never have anything live in one of those cages. I need to go look at the containers my local Diy store has, I'm thinking one with a strong locking lid, and I'll put SS mesh on the front.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I would never have anything live in one of those cages. I need to go look at the containers my local Diy store has, I'm thinking one with a strong locking lid, and I'll put SS mesh on the front.
I also had mice but had them live in my flight cages before those cages lol

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Sounds good!

That cage idea is great! Much more doable than a 200 dollar cage! Do these guys like lots of room to run and play? Just trying to figure out what footprint container I'd need to look for. :)

Both of my sister's hamsters have been very energetic. So yes, lots of room! :) I think the bin that we used is a 130-140 quarts.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes and if you can create tunnels for them to run through they love it. We had tons of those interlocking clear ones (like the critter trail expansion kit) and ours were always on the move.

I had Siberian hamsters - they were a lot sweeter than others we owned.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Both of my sister's hamsters have been very energetic. So yes, lots of room! :) I think the bin that we used is a 130-140 quarts.
Yes and if you can create tunnels for them to run through they love it. We had tons of those interlocking clear ones (like the critter trail expansion kit) and ours were always on the move.

I had Siberian hamsters - they were a lot sweeter than others we owned.
Alright, cool!

Tomorrow I have to go get worms for the frog, so I'll probably look at a bunch of stuff. A question: Does it really matter what kind of hamster I get? Are there certain ones that need to live in groups, or can they all live solitary? Are certain ones more likely to be social towards humans?

I have been watching videos on hamsters and the care they need, and the more I see them, the more I love them. They look so curious and excited about the world around them! The last time I was at Petco I saw a hamster yawn- I think I about fell over because it was just so cute! I love their little toes and their teeny tiny eyes, and I love their stubby little tails.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Alright, cool!

Tomorrow I have to go get worms for the frog, so I'll probably look at a bunch of stuff. A question: Does it really matter what kind of hamster I get? Are there certain ones that need to live in groups, or can they all live solitary? Are certain ones more likely to be social towards humans?

I have been watching videos on hamsters and the care they need, and the more I see them, the more I love them. They look so curious and excited about the world around them! The last time I was at Petco I saw a hamster yawn- I think I about fell over because it was just so cute! I love their little toes and their teeny tiny eyes, and I love their stubby little tails.
Ive had normal sized hamsters they were all friendly but also had a russian dwarf that was very aggressive due to the owner before me intaganizing it so badly

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:idea: I was wondering if you couldn't use your cracked 10 gallons? They make Habitrail lids for those & you could connect them that way. Easy to clean one side when they're in the other. If they're cracked at the top, you can seal them & they won't reach the silicone. If it's only at the very bottom, you can seal it to make sure the sharp edges are covered just in case & to keep dirt from getting in, but I doubt they'll dig all the way down through the substrate. If it's in the middle, could you remove the cracked side and replace it with acrylic? It wouldn't have to hold the weight of water.

This link was really neat. Connecting 2 aquariums - Supplies & Accessories - Hamster Hideout Forum I like how it turned out & how versatile it is. You can add on as you get more pieces or just change things around. :geek:
upload_2018-1-26_19-25-52.jpeg

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:idea: I was wondering if you couldn't use your cracked 10 gallons? They make Habitrail lids for those & you could connect them that way. Easy to clean one side when they're in the other. If they're cracked at the top, you can seal them & they won't reach the silicone. If it's only at the very bottom, you can seal it to make sure the sharp edges are covered just in case & to keep dirt from getting in, but I doubt they'll dig all the way down through the substrate. If it's in the middle, could you remove the cracked side and replace it with acrylic? It wouldn't have to hold the weight of water.

This link was really neat. Connecting 2 aquariums - Supplies & Accessories - Hamster Hideout Forum I like how it turned out & how versatile it is. You can add on as you get more pieces or just change things around. :geek:
View attachment 266761
It's a great idea, but I think for the time and effort it takes, it'd be more efficient to just get a big plastic container instead.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@faislaq very cool idea.

@taxidermynerd the type of hamster only matters in that you want it to be friendly right? I assume you do. Supposedly Syrian hamsters are friendlier - but who knows? Cause sometimes I think they’re at the store longer, so they become more wild. Or they came from a breeder that handled them more, so they’re more tame, know what I mean?

When I had mine they said Siberian was by far the sweetest. But I read online they only live 12 months! Ours lived longer!!!

Here’s a link for ya.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I decided that I was rushing into things... No new friend. I'd love to, but as it is I hardly have any time to myself with all of the pets. Maybe in the future...

I'm gonna go feel bad and dumb now.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I do that, too. :D I make all kinds of wonderful plans but don't end up doing most of them. I don't feel bad about them though; I know I don't have time for all of that but it is fun to think about and it keeps your mind fertile! I'm a bit of a Walter Mitty. :laugh: (the book, not the movie!)

I enjoyed our brainstorm here and I think everyone else did, too. Just be proud of yourself that you had the restraint to not a pet you're not ready for. :tup: Not everyone checks themselves first and the animals suffer so thank you for that. It's hard to do because they're so cute and irresistible. You had me almost wanting a hamster, too!

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
@taxidermynerd
Hamsters don’t need ‘attention’ like other pets. They sleep all day and really don’t care if you handle them or not.
Not trying to talk you back into it, but they’re very low maintenence as far as that goes. :)

Don’t feel dumb..I told my husband yesterday that I see sugar gliders and chameleons in my future. He just shakes his head! LOL

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I know in the beginning, I felt the same way about the bird and the frog. I really wanted them, but I was so scared that I would mess up real bad. Then I got them, and I had the initial feeling of "Oh God what have I done" for like 2 days , but looking back, I know I made the right decision.

I'll still be looking for more info, and maybe a month or so from now, I'll reconsider. I just want to be sure that I'm not being impulsive.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
@taxidermynerd
Hamsters don’t need ‘attention’ like other pets. They sleep all day and really don’t care if you handle them or not.
Not trying to talk you back into it, but they’re very low maintenence as far as that goes. :)

Don’t feel dumb..I told my husband yesterday that I see sugar gliders and chameleons in my future. He just shakes his head! LOL
Pacman frogs are the same way... But extend the sleeping to all the time. I like pets like that, because they don't need your full attention all day. And they are really cute...