• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about a betta

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's been a long while since I've had a betta, I miss having one. He was so chill. So I'm thinking about getting another one... I'd have to set up the tank (I have a spare 10g) and cycle it, all that hoopla, but I could do it.

I'd go barebottom (I've had too many issues with gravel), and I need some new decorations and silk plants, but I can work that out.

Just thinking out loud.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I LOVE betta!! They're one of my favourite fish species. :swoon:

Do you have a favourite colour and tail type? They're all so gorgeous!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I LOVE betta!! They're one of my favourite fish species. :swoon:

Do you have a favourite colour and tail type? They're all so gorgeous!
Oh man. I don't even know. I've only ever had one, he was a male veil tail, he was black and blue with red tips. He could be feisty.

Petco has so many betta colors, and now they even sell babies... I feel like raising a baby betta would be hard, so I'll probably go with an adult male. I'd love to set up a sorority, but I don't have a big enough tank for that many females.

I'll probably just look around and see which one clicks with me :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think about getting a betta off and on. They are beautiful fish :heart: I saw some really pretty ones in pet store just yesterday. I always find something I need to get Echo first before I budget properly for one.:laugh: I don't have a tank or anything... but I keep saying one day...:shy:

But I look forward to your journey Bee :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I forget the special name of mine’s color. It used to be called “Mustard Gas” but it’s been changed to something more attractive.

I vote yes ,get a betta. :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We went to petco, to look at stuff. Dad says I can't get anything until the 1st of the month, but I'm probably gonna start stripping the tank down tomorrow (I've left water in it, everything unplugged, for over 5 months... There are still living snails in there. I don't know how. It's like a stagnant pond in there).

I'm also looking for nice decorations that won't tear those fragile fins. If anyone has some they like that are at petco/petsmart, please shoot a link my way.

I saw a couple of nice bettas over there, some nice feisty ones. I love a good feisty betta boy :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have one, got it last year an Opal male. I have mine in an Imagitarium and have sparse large white gravel and a sand mix. If you have some cover, it looks nice.

You can do silk plants so they do not snag the Bettas fins and tear them. Also get some of the live moss balls. They are actually very cool, soft and so allow for contradicting any ammonia. I also have a cute little rock house for him to go in. He is very cool!

I hope you get one. ;)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have one, got it last year an Opal male. I have mine in an Imagitarium and have sparse large white gravel and a sand mix. If you have some cover, it looks nice.

You can do silk plants so they do not snag the Bettas fins and tear them. Also get some of the live moss balls. They are actually very cool, soft and so allow for contradicting any ammonia. I also have a cute little rock house for him to go in. He is very cool!

I hope you get one. ;)
I was going to suggest silk plants and marimo! :D

My betta Kodivere loved his marimo. It was his favourite place to snooze.

When picking ornaments, I used to bring a little piece of tissue to the store and run it over anything that caught my eye. If the tissue was snagged or torn, I avoided it.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have some silk plants from my first betta but they look really dingy so I'll just get some new ones. I think I had a marimo moss ball for my first betta, and I don't recall him playing with it but I liked how it looked. So maybe I'll get a couple.

I was going to suggest silk plants and marimo! :D

My betta Kodivere loved his marimo. It was his favourite place to snooze.

When picking ornaments, I used to bring a little piece of tissue to the store and run it over anything that caught my eye. If the tissue was snagged or torn, I avoided it.
That's a good idea, the tissue thing. I'll have to do that. I've been avoiding basically everything because it just seems so hard to find something safe (I've had to bust up a 40$ tank decoration when my 3 upside-down catfish got stuck in there, I don't want a repeat). Plus all the awesome ones are like 60$ and way too big, lol.

Gonna also pick up one of those leaf hammock things, I had one for my first betta but I don't know where it disappeared to.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
And for food, if you feed tiny pellets soak them first. I feed New life spectrum to all my fish, even my Africans.

I also feed frozen brine shrimp too.

Post pics when you get your new betta!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
And for food, if you feed tiny pellets soak them first. I feed New life spectrum to all my fish, even my Africans.
That is good to know. I’ve been feeding a flake betta food but he’s not thrilled.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I worked at a pet store for a month recently, and I have a tip for checking how long a betta has been there. If a betta moves alot, flares at other bettas, etc, it's likely new, healthier, but also the one who needs you less. The disinterested ones have been there for weeks and are too Ill to do much. Their cups are changed once a week and fed every other day (at least where I worked)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Almost ready! I have the tank cleaned out, all the plants and decorations are ready. All I need to do is get together the shelves (I'll be using one of those huge industrial steel shelves) and fill the tank, cycle it and get the fish!!