• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about a baby HH

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Hey guys,

It's come to the time in my life where I want to get a bird again. I currently have no pets and live in a flat with my complete bird-noob fiance.

I've been doing the research with him and shopping around, trying to give him as much information as possible so we can make the decision together, and we're tied between a Hawkhead and a pair of Linnies. The Linnies because they're generally quiet and sweet little things, but also the look and personality of the HH is irresistable. The only thing that puts me off is that they're quite loud compared to the little Linnies, and while I'm fine with the noise, my fiancé is harder to convince.

Sourcing a baby in the UK has so far been nigh impossible too, is anyone here UK based? Can't even find a basic estimate for a price!

I think I could get away with a HH so long as they're not that shrill a screamer. I'm expecting the most noise in the morning and evening as usual, but I'm not sure if my man could tolerate a constantly 'shouty' bird.

Any advice would be great!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sourcing a baby in the UK has so far been nigh impossible too, is anyone here UK based? Can't even find a basic estimate for a price!
Please considering adopting/rehoming a bird already out there in need of a home through no fault of their own.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree with John's suggestion of trying to adopt a bird. As for noise, the best thing to do may be to try to be around some of these birds to see what sounds your fiancé can tolerate. All birds are noisy to some extent. For instance, I fostered a lovebird for awhile and found his chirps completely adorable. But I've heard others say lovebird noises drive them crazy. The same with budgies- some people can't take the constant chatter while others find it cute. So everyone has different sound tolerance.

Also, a cockatiel might be a good bird for you to consider.

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
I'm aware all birds are noisy, I've owned birds before! I did say that. It's my partner who's new to them.

I've checked out bird adoption in my area, and almost all of the breeds available aren't suitable for me lifestyle so it just wouldn't be fair. That also said, as my partner is a noob, I want to take our first bird together from a young age to help him learn about their care better. It's not necessarily fair on him either to bring a rescue home with potential behavioural problems.

I had to rule 'tiels out as I have a mild allergic reaction to them, which is a shame as they'd be a good fit.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm aware all birds are noisy, I've owned birds before! I did say that. It's my partner who's new to them.

I've checked out bird adoption in my area, and almost all of the breeds available aren't suitable for me lifestyle so it just wouldn't be fair. That also said, as my partner is a noob, I want to take our first bird together from a young age to help him learn about their care better. It's not necessarily fair on him either to bring a rescue home with potential behavioural problems.

I had to rule 'tiels out as I have a mild allergic reaction to them, which is a shame as they'd be a good fit.
I am not trying to push rescue you on you one way or another, truly. But whenever someone says that rescue birds have potential behavioral problems I feel compelled to say something. It's very common for people to think that. However, just because a bird is rehomed doesn't mean it has behavioral issues. My first bird came to us because his owner passed away. I couldn't have asked for a sweeter bird. I just adopted a too from a rescue. We have no idea what his past is- but he's amazing. So forgive me for getting on my soap box. If you prefer a bird from a breeder or if rescues don't have the type of bird you want, that's completely understandable. :) But just because a bird is in a rescue, it doesn't mean he/she has problems. :)

Also, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know all birds were noisy. I was just trying to say that different people tolerate different bird sounds differently. For instance, cockatiels are considered "quiet" birds, but some people find their squawks grating- even if they're not loud, etc. So I just meant your fiancé should see what types of chirps, etc he finds tolerable.

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
That's fair enough, and having worked with all kinds of animals, rescues of all stripes, I know that a rescue doesn't necessarily mean behavioural issues. My point is that there is a potential risk of issues along those lines, and I'd rather not start with a rescue just in case there are such issues as it wouldn't be fair on my fiancé or the bird. Maybe further down the line, after he's better acclimatised to bird behaviour, then we can consider a rescue!

I took him to a pet shop the other day that stocked quite a wide range of bird species, just to give him an example of the noise level. He took to it surprisingly well, but really fell in love with the Linnies. I guess that's made up our minds!

Next decision to make is whether we'd want a single bird or a pair. I should probably move over to the Linnie section of the forum, I guess!