• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures There's a new cutie at the humane society!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
..youve got a ton on your plate

Absolutely. Although I have never had a handicapped bird I would imagine they are more work and expense than those that are not.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@hrafn How is she when she is away from the cage? I have observed some IRN that simply do poorly in a cage. They are from fairly open spaces and can become fearful easily if they can't escape. Cages prevent them from making the choice to get away. If she has access to an open play stand her personality may come out more. She may not feel as though she is stuck.

They are seasonal breeders and not as territorial as other parrots. If they have an active nest then of course they will defend that.

I am just tossing out an idea :) IRN are awesome, sweet and wonderful.
Unfortunately, the way the bird room is set up, it's not safe to let her out of her cage unsupervised; and she's far too afraid of humans to come out when someone's in there with her. Poor baby. I wish she could hang out outside of her cage, she'd probably feel more confident.

So when are you bringing her home??
If you didn't already have your hands full I would say get her in a heartbeat. Kiwi is the only IRN I have had experience with. She will definitely let people know when she does not want to be taken off her play top, that is her kingdom. She comes to the edge and calls to me when she wants some attention. She is not a bitey bird but if someone did not know her she would scare them with her snarling and lunging. She feels threatened when someone she does not know thinks they can just pick her up. Its all an act though because she is one of the sweetest birds I have ever had...although not a cuddly one. All in all, a pretty easy bird to care for. I better quit typing before I start trying to convince you...youve got a ton on your plate
Enablers, enablers, enablers, lol. I'm poor as dirt right now, unfortunately. But maybe she needs a foster home...? :D

Absolutely. Although I have never had a handicapped bird I would imagine they are more work and expense than those that are not.
Kamara alone is a tonne of work just with her mangled feet; once the Musketeers get home, I'll probably be swamped.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Foster might be good, if you have the time, you might be able to get her to trust again and not be as aggressive. On the other hand she might just be one who will always be aggressive to anyone she is not closely bonded too.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
More cuties!! Three little yellow sided cheekies names Pistachio, Cashew, and Velcro. SO precious.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Ah! Jade looks so much like Piper~!

I'm glad you know your limits. The four budgies coming home soon will probably keep you busy for quite some time. But it's also super sweet you take the time out to spend with other birds. Even if you can't bring them home, it probably means a lot that you just sit and talk to them. :heart:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month