• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures There IS a little UV in the flying room!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
These uv beads are turning light purple to indicate uva uvb in the spectrum. The uv meter registers 0 though, it's not a sensitive professional meter (that costs 2.5K!!). I am very excited to learn this!

uva uvb beads.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
uv directly under featherbrite :(

uv featherbrite.jpg

uv beads in sunshine!

uv beads sunshine.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I talked to my contact at featherbrite and he says uvb can hurt birds so featherbrite has very little in it. he refuted what i gathered about vitamin d being triggered by uvb and said uva triggers it (not uvb). mentioned a link to a study done by some univ of oregon but i can't find it so I've asked him for a link to it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I talked to my contact at featherbrite and he says uvb can hurt birds so featherbrite has very little in it. he refuted what i gathered about vitamin d being triggered by uvb and said uva triggers it (not uvb). mentioned a link to a study done by some univ of oregon but i can't find it so I've asked him for a link to it.

If that's the case, then their lightbulbs are pointless and you could just put them next to a window.

Glass doesn't filter UVA, only UVB, so sitting next to a window would provide the same benefit as being outside if they don't need UVB.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
If that's the case, then their lightbulbs are pointless and you could just put them next to a window.

Glass doesn't filter UVA, only UVB, so sitting next to a window would provide the same benefit as being outside if they don't need UVB.
the guy is an expert so i was pretty surprised when he went against everything i've read about vut d and uvb. said if i wanted uvb so much i should buy a reptile lamp which will burn the birds.
I used to have this but it was unstable. going to email zoo med and see if the base has been redesigned since 2012

Amazon.com: Zoo Med AvianSun Deluxe Floor Pet Lamp: Pet Supplies

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would like to know where you got those beads? First time I've ever seen them.

If I had your fabulous bird room my dear, the last thing I would be worrying about is a few points on the UV scale. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I would like to know where you got those beads? First time I've ever seen them.

If I had your fabulous bird room my dear, the last thing I would be worrying about is a few points on the UV scale. :)

aawww thanks, I'll just have to keep dragging them out in the sunshine in their heavy kings travel cages! No substitute for the real thing!

I got the beads here as part of a uv meter kit, but they are also sold separately

Buy Science Classroom Learning Tools | TeacherSource.com