• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Truth About Rats

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I'm an animal lover. I love birds, dogs, cats, rodents, etc. This includes rats, a very misunderstood animal. While I've never owned any (would love to, but my parents would never allow it), I have taken much time to research the amazing animals and learn the truth about them.

It annoys me when I hear someone talking about pet rats being nasty, dirty animals, as they are the exact opposite. Here's a little information on rats, and why they make awesome pets.

What is there to be afraid of?

Absolutely nothing. While many people fear rats, there is actually nothing to be afraid of. They are actually loyal, loving animals that enjoy human interaction! Rats hardly ever bite. So, what about that hairless tail? Yeah, it's hairless, and actually quite cute. And anyways, a lot of people may say it's gross, but it's just a tail with skin, the same thing us humans have (just not the tail).

But they stink, right?
No, they don't, as long as you clean the cage properly. Plus, rats can be litter box trained, and therefore all the poop can be contained in one area.

What are some other facts about rats?
They are very much like a mix between a cat and dog. They can be taught tricks, they bond with their owners, they can be litter box trained, and they are very playful, but will snuggle with you, as well! They are also very social creatures, and should be kept in pairs of 2 or more. Remember, even if you spend the WHOLE day with a rat, you can't replace a rat friend. However, even with two, if socialized properly, they will both bond very close to you. It doesn't cost much more to keep 2 rats than 1, so just do the rat a favor and get it a friend! :)

If you decide to get rats, please research up on their care! Although easier to care for than some other pets, rats are in no way low-maintenance pets! They require plenty of out-of-cage time, a healthy diet, and proper housing. Also, if you decide to get rats, I must warn you that they have very short lifespans, which is one of their major downsides. They usually live 2-3 years if given proper care.

If you have any questions about rats or their care, feel free to ask. I'm not a rat expert, in fact, I've never once owned rats. I do, however, know a lot about these amazing critters and should be able to answer questions you may have.

Remember, adopt, don't shop!

Here are some rat pictures that will make you fall in love with rats:
IMG_2388.JPG
A picture I took myself at a pet store, while shopping for supplies for my 'keets. Rat snuggles!

IMG_2424.JPG
"I love my teddy bear so much!"

IMG_2425.JPG
Awwww!

IMG_2426.JPG
"Watcha doin?" :)

IMG_2427.JPG
Find the real rat!

IMG_2428.JPG
"Nom, nom, nom!"

IMG_2429.JPG
Aww, they love each other so much! Can't you tell? Just look at their tails; they form a heart!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Good post! I'd love to have rats one day, my dad says no "because they're rats" but I'll wear him down one day! They seem like real cuties :joyful:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks! :)

I don't think my dad would care if I got rats (in fact, I believe he's actually called them cute himself), it's just my mom that doesn't allow them. They're such sweet animals, really. They're just misunderstood. My older sister and her husband used to have two rats, but I never saw them (except through photos). If only they had brought them over, maybe my parents would have realized what great pets rats really are.

I'm definitely going to own rats in the future. They're just like a little mix between a cat and dog, but in a much smaller, slightly easier to care for package! :)

Also, I forgot to mention how smart little ratties are! They can learn many tricks, and can even learn to play fetch!

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I fought my parents into letting rats into the home. I won:bounce8: We had Samuel Whiskers, an absolute sweetheart. Rats are honestly the cutest, sweetest things and when we lost Sam, we were devastated. Even my mom who had an actual fear of rats (it's the tail that gets people) got to the stage where he could cuddle her and snooze in her hoodie :bounce4:
And despite what so many people think. Rats are clean creatures. They spend about 2 thirds of their waking life cleaning themselves. We would bathe Sammy too and get him sprayed for mites every other month. He was my angel
:hug1:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I fought my parents into letting rats into the home. I won:bounce8: We had Samuel Whiskers, an absolute sweetheart. Rats are honestly the cutest, sweetest things and when we lost Sam, we were devastated. Even my mom who had an actual fear of rats (it's the tail that gets people) got to the stage where he could cuddle her and snooze in her hoodie :bounce4:
And despite what so many people think. Rats are clean creatures. They spend about 2 thirds of their waking life cleaning themselves. We would bathe Sammy too and get him sprayed for mites every other month. He was my angel
:hug1:
Samuel Whiskers sounded like such a sweetheart! I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

I totally forgot to mention that they groom as much, if not more than a cat! Thanks for mentioning that! :)

Just curious, how on Earth did you get your parents (specifically your mother) to agree on getting a rat? There is no way I would have won that. Also, how did your rat handle being alone? Was he fine without a rattie friend? I know there are some rats that just hate other rats and can't live with them, but most prefer a rat friend. Nonetheless, it sounds like you took great care of Samuel Whiskers and he had a great life. :) Thanks for Sharing your experience with rats with us!

Also, do you have any photos of Sam? We'd love to see, if you don't mind!

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Got my dad when he was feeling generous. We got the rats while my mom was away working. She came home to the rats and it was too late to get rid of them.:eek:
(Would not recommend this option!)
Sam spent the majority of time with us but he did have a friend: Nelson. Unfortunately, Nelson was so inbred that he wasn't quite all there. Incredibly aggressive which is the total opposite of a rat's nature. Still have scars... So we rehomed him to a place where it would just be him and it seems he settled down eventually.:)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I love this post! I totally agree, it makes me sad to see so Many rats, hamsters and mice in Pet stores sold for two to ten euro's, that Will attract so Many impulsive buyers. I had a friend who had two rats, they were remarkable little fellows. I have had two mouses and a hamster, who were all very sweet! But I would love to have rats one day:rolleyes:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My Mom is not a fan of rodents. When I was about 10 my friends and I found a sale on mice for 23 cents! The store had too many so was trying to get rid of some. We didn’t have 23 cents between the 3 of us. A man standing nearby heard us and tossed us a quarter. :) We bought one and the store threw in a second one for free. We argued over who would take them home as none of us thought our parents (mothers) would allow them in the house. I ended up bringing them home. My Mom said no way and drove me back to the store to return them. We couldn’t find anyone in the pet area to help so I ended up just slipping them back in the cage with no refund. :lol:

Fast forward a few years to high school biology class. Our assignment was to train a rat to do a trick, so guess what, Mom, I HAVE to have a rat for school! :p She allowed it. Some mothers didn’t and those rats didn’t do well with the training. My rat, Thumper aka Ratchet (say it out loud), did very well. My Dad built a structure that consisted of 2 platforms about 2 feet apart and 3 feet off the ground with a ladder on a weighted pulley in between the platforms. He had to pull on a rope to pull the ladder down to his platform, walk across the ladder to the other platform to get his reward, usually cream cheese. I’ll see if I have a pic somewhere. :)