• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The terrible experience I had with Dexter (when he was younger)

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
When Dexter was about three months old, I moved in with my (ex) boyfriend. We got a new house and everything. I moved in the night before everyone else, with dex (U2). I got sex during the summer, and my old house didn't have AC. So, Dexter was fine. I had a backup heatpad, which was unfortunately destroyed during the move. The first night, I turned up the heat in the house. We were staying in the basement, and it was too cold, even though it was in the 90's outside. (I'm aware now i was being a bit reckless) the first night was fine, but the next day, my BF's family moved in, and decided it was too hot upstairs. They turned the a.c. Up, high. As Dexter became cold, I went upstairs and turned down the cold. i used a heat blanket (which didn't heat up much) to keep him at 82. They turned it up again, and I turned it back down. My ex's dad decided to send out a group text to leave the cold air on. He Was Aware of Dexter's needs. Dex started to lose his appetite. I texted him and told him Dexter was going to die without proper warmth. He was putting his comfort over Dexter's life. I would have put Dexter upstairs, but I didn't trust my bf's family with dexter, they were rarely dressed, and there was no where for me to sleep and watch Dexter there.
I finally got a heat lamp to keep Dexter warm. I was furious with that man, and my BF did nothing to defend me. Dexter could have easily died if I was not able to keep him warm, but he was too lazy to open a window.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
:sadhug2: What a horrible person, caring more about his own comfort then Dexters life. I am so happy that you don't have to have Anything to do with those people anymore:heart:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
That's always been a problem when I was living with other people and had birds, vs. having other people live with me while I had birds. When I was at the mercy of other people who had more "authority" in the house, my birds well-being was frequently jeopardized. I can't even begin to tell you how many sets of SS cookware I purchased when I moved 5 times in one year for folks! It was a nightmare. I'm so, so thankful that the last several years have been on my own terms, and now I don't even have to deal with a landlord :) I'm glad that is no longer your situation.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah my birds live upstairs but we do have Some teflon pans:( my mother says I am making a scene and that it is not harmfull*rolls eyes*. The same for candles, also scented ones, and air freshener. Those are not used often but sometimes they are. Usually there is a door, stairs and another door between those scents and the birds, but still:( I have never smelled it close to my room and most of the pans are not teflon thankfully though:)