• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures The T stick.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
That's a normal looking "toy" for a cockatoo.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Shinobi,

You are correct that the beak is like a third hand and is often used for stabilization. I do however advocate that the beak should not be used for helping the bird with any bodypart contact unless it is necessary. In other words I teach my birds that it is okay to use their beaks on other things but not my body. If they use their beaks for stepping up on my hand I don't reward that behavior with a treat but do if they don't use their beak to step up on my hand. I will however reward them if they use their beak to step up to a perch. This will help prevent any accidental biting.

I would be pretty sure that their are parrots who use their beaks to preen their human companions. Henry will preen my wife's and mine eyebrows, eyelashes, beard and ears. This I would say is typical flock behaviour which I would encourage and advocate it. This is all part of being a flock member
If a parrot bites you, its not by accident. It's either deliberate or learnt bad behaviour.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
@BirdManDan you say you can have a parrot that has been neglected/abused trust you in a couple days, can you explain in detail your process and tell us about specific times you have done this?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
And if you need a nice natural looking stick, they're right here. Any size you want.