• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Sweet nature of Plumheads

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I do not know anything about this bird in the video. I am not suggesting anyone takes their bird outside without a proper set up. For all I know this is in a netted garden. -

I am sharing because I think this video helps capture the sweet nature of Plumheads. They are calm birds. They do still have their bird moments and they can get hyper midday. As long as they get their brain food and puzzles solved they mellow out and would rather avoid conflict. I can't stress enough how clever and intelligent they are. This is why this species can cohabit with non-competing birds in an aviary.

This is also why I have some success allowing my plumhead to share the common play time with my parrotlets. Pi is generally the one who gets harassed by them and not the other way around. Mind you I am watching Neptune and Picard 100% of the time they are out.. they are just to all over the place, and really love getting into mischief.

---Now ignore all of this when Plumheads have a nest. They will be very protective of their nests and do poorly in colony breeding. They only nest seasonally so the baby rage isn't a year long thing.

Last edited:

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
well you are so lucky :rofl:

my plum head is the opposit of what you described !

she is bossy, very energetic, extremely dominant, jealous and loves to torment her cage mate!

she is also quite aggressive when she's in a mood and never misses an opportunity to remind humans and our other pets who's boss :faint:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe bummer, Brice. I am sorry you have the opposite experience. Maybe you can try and give her some more activities to keep her beak busy. Also If she is not getting along with her cage mate they really shouldn't be housed together. You may find a total change in her attitude when she has the place to herself. It is possible she considers the cage her nest and in her mind it is a constant battle to make sure it is only hers. :shy:

Plumheads shouldn't be caged with other species. --aviaries and cages are not one in the same. :shifty:

If you want any tips don't hesitate to share more of the story or photos. I am sure everyone here would love to get your little girl in a more comfortable situation. I sincerely and warmly want to help. :)

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Lol, training books always suggest approaching birds slowly and calmly... it doesn't get much slower or calmer than a snail.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What a cute video :laugh:

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Awe bummer, Brice. I am sorry you have the opposite experience. Maybe you can try and give her some more activities to keep her beak busy. Also If she is not getting along with her cage mate they really shouldn't be housed together. You may find a total change in her attitude when she has the place to herself. It is possible she considers the cage her nest and in her mind it is a constant battle to make sure it is only hers. :shy:

Plumheads shouldn't be caged with other species. --aviaries and cages are not one in the same. :shifty:

If you want any tips don't hesitate to share more of the story or photos. I am sure everyone here would love to get your little girl in a more comfortable situation. I sincerely and warmly want to help. :)

yeah i have tried many things i am considering putting her in another cage but that will not be an option unfortunatly until we move to a new house which is what we are trying to do since a few month ! ;)
im sorry if i sounded wrong i do love plumhead, i just have one that have a crazy amount of swag and caracter i guess lol ! :rofl:
i don't know if you have read some of my threads regarding her (my plumhead), im having a hard time teaching her things knowing that she is not hand friendly (she love to hung on my head or shoulder and nibble my forhead and ears, but she just doesn't like hands which doesn't help with training since the past 2 years)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
i don't know if you have read some of my threads regarding her (my plumhead), im having a hard time teaching her things knowing that she is not hand friendly (she love to hung on my head or shoulder and nibble my forhead and ears, but she just doesn't like hands which doesn't help with training since the past 2 years)
I haven't seen your other posts. So thank you for bringing them to my attention. Hand fear is a difficult problem to over come. Have you worked on touch/target training first? After she is comfortable with it you can start using it as a way to encourage her toward your hand; she will know there is a positive outcome in the form of a treat. :) It could help.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
i have had birds in the past (black capped conure & cockatiel) and used the same method that worked for them, i am trying still but im not making progress at this point, she does step up and come to my hand when i have fruits in it but thats it :/

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index...kyrie-finally-have-their-adult-colors.214864/

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/the-fids-getting-crazy-over-apple.210629/

Thank you for the links!

Awe they are so lovely :) I love the confetti head when plummies start changing to their adult plumage. Your Plume seems to be hand tame to me :) They aren't a species that will ever be cuddly like conure or cockatiel. It looks like you are doing well by her. If she is grumpy and moody it seems like she no longer wants her cage mate. Even if they were buddies when they were babies, things change. Plume wants to be the lady of her manor. :bathtime:

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Thank you for the links!

Awe they are so lovely :) I love the confetti head when plummies start changing to their adult plumage. Your Plume seems to be hand tame to me :) They aren't a species that will ever be cuddly like conure or cockatiel. It looks like you are doing well by her. If she is grumpy and moody it seems like she no longer wants her cage mate. Even if they were buddies when they were babies, things change. Plume wants to be the lady of her manor. :bathtime:
well i am going to try to separate them because it is really frustrating to see her chasing him around ! and thank you i always try my best !