• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The story of Rainbow

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Long read ahead,

This thread has been needed for so long, it's been hard without him, and something's about the care I gave him kept me from being able to write this, but I'm ready now, and Rainbow deserves this.

I've owned 4 budgies in my life, but Rainbows story just needs to be shared.

When I saw Rainbow in the crammed little cage at the petstore, I new he was the one. He had a cute little white face and feathers of many shades of blue and green.

I got him a mate, Emerald. I took them home, and spoiled them by shipping a whole lot of toys from Canada. I found the best food available (budgie seed from a few country's over.) It wasn't the best, and I still wish I found better.

Rainbow lost his wife after a year, due to bad cage design, she escaped and got stuck behind furniture :( Rainbow was very sad, I comforted him best I could.

About a year later, we were moving countries, and Rainbow had to get some shots (worst DAY of my life and his!) The vets came and said he needed to shots in order to come with me to the new country. So he said that MY un-handtamed bird had to be taken out of the cage and get shots, when I HADN'T EVEN HELD HIM MYSELF!

We held him in the towel while the vet didn't various things I never agreed too! I couldn't handle it so I left the room, I could hear him crying, my dad told me he got two shots which didn't hurt him too bad but then he jabbed something into the wing and feathers came out, I heard him scream from the other room! I was in tears cause he looked half dead.

Finally he returned him to his cage, he was laying there in panic, I thought he was going :(. So my mom asked him what he had done, so he went over to the cage, and started banging on the cage to make him get up, I started crying and asked him to stop cause he was already almost dead because of him!

When he left, I left him to be alone for a while, and he did perk up after a bit, but he was drooping his wings and could only use one leg (we believe that the vet must have pulled on it to control him, and broke it)

We put him in a smaller travel cage, since we were leaving in a few days, I wasn't sure, he was not ready to travel. But it was the only way. So we put him in between the seats. Apparently when we got to the border, birds weren't aloud over because of some disease he got a shot for, so he had to be hidden there, and kept away from all security or they may have taken him and done who knows what to him. (My moms boss joked they may pluck his feathers and eat him, jerk. But the thing is they may have.

We were on the final car ride after the boarder, Rainbow had not been discovered. I was holding him in my hands as the driver started going really fast. Then it got late and the guy sped up a bit and went over the speed bumps like they were nothing, so the whole car was jumping. I held onto the cage with everything trying to relieve him from the bumps as every time we went over a speed bump he would go flying and smack himself on the ground.

So I held on with tears, and tried to tell the guy to slow down but he did not. Rainbow kept climbing the cage to the top to try and secure himself, but it's a little hard with one working leg, he started to grasp my finger for a little bit of something, I let him and the pain of his little beak didn't bother me cause it was my babies life or death.

Finally we got home and I quickly took him outside, and put him in a comfortable spot near my bed, I was in such a hurry to get him to safety that I left my iPod in the bus never to be seen again, but I didn't care even a little.

And guess what, the next morning I woke up to his happy budgie chirps. I honestly didn't think he would make it, but he did :)

I thought his leg would never recover, but after about 4 months it did.

He was my surviver bird.

But then on boxing day, we had friends over and the little boy noticed the "parrot" was sleepy. I looked and he was awfully sick, starting to show signs. I kept in my tears till the end of there visit, once they were gone I went to him, and he started falling off the perch, but I chirped to him cause he kept closing his eyes, I had to take him to the vet, but there was none in our new home in Tanzania, not even any like the horrid vet that almost killed him before.

So I watched him struggle, and I did everything I could, but a few hours later, he died in a seizure. I miss him so much, my little surviver bird, I wish I could have done better, I hope you are flying high with Emerald now, you are amazing and I love you so much!

Rainbow was an incredibly strong bird, and I will never forget that strength he had, I will forever honor him for how much he amazed me and still continues too, such a strong bird. I wish I had done better for you, and found you a vet, and cared for you better. I will always love you :heart: Goodbye Rainbow.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:sadhug2:I'm sorry for your loss, Rainbow looks like a beautiful little man.:sorrow: I'm sure he knew you loved him. Rainbow and Emerald are probably flying together over Rainbow Bridge.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thank you for sharing Rainbow's story.

Have no doubt...Rainbow and Emerald are together at the Bridge..and you will be reunited with them someday...:heart:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for sharing Rainbow's story.

Have no doubt...Rainbow and Emerald are together at the Bridge..and you will be reunited with them someday...:heart:
:sadhug2:I'm sorry for your loss, Rainbow looks like a beautiful little man.:sorrow: I'm sure he knew you loved him. Rainbow and Emerald are probably flying together over Rainbow Bridge.
:heart: Thank you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss of Rainbow. He was a special budgie.
Also sorry for the loss of Emerald.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your losses. Thanks for telling us Rainbow’s story of survival, and I’m so glad he made it! No doubt he knew how much you loved him.
:sadhug2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry for your loss ❤

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone :heart: I hope he did know I loved him.

Does anyone know what the vet could of done to his wings? Did he clip them? Has any of your vets ever done that?