• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The stories of Zach and Shasta

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
So I have been volunteering at my local parrot sanctuary for quite some time. I’ve had no interest in adding anymore Cockatood into our lives or birds in general. We have enough sassyness between our toos, greys and macaw.
Enter Shasta (M2) and Zach (LSC2)
I’ll start with Shasta. He was surrendered to the Sanctuary/rescue nearly 7 months ago. He has spent the last 15 years having a wet comforter and a literal wet blanket thrown over him. His previous owner had COPD and decided that wet blankets and comforters would reduce his Too dust. When he first arrived at the shelter he was a severe plucker. He is completely bare on his chest and back. Scared of his own shadow and very untrustworthy. Thankfully he is a runner and not a biter. Shasta would run and shake if you walked 20 feet near his cage. That was till my Implet came and volunteered several weekends ago. She was helping me clean and feed cages when before I realized it, she was at Shasta’s house. Instead of him cowering in his corner shaking and screaming he was truly interested in her. I told M to just hang out where she was for a few minutes. I rushed to go find our directors. We were all so happy just to see him open up to someone and at this point anyone. He chose his person. Shasta is now home and we affectionately call him our Jungle Chicken ( his calls sound like a broken rooster or a very bad yodeler) and M calls him her Duckling. He follows her around the house like a lost puppy. He hasn’t shown signs of plucking and is truly learning to be a TOO again.
Zach is a (LSC2). He chose me and he is a stink pot. At the sanctuary before he claimed me as his he was deemed unrehomable due to aggression. He was notorious for stalking than attacking. Thus when on my first day of dealing with the outdoor avaries, I had to rescue a victim of a Zach Attack. I wasn’t thinking when I struck my arm out and told him to “Step Up” that I had placed my flesh in harms way. But instead of chomping he cuddled. My director told me his backstory while she found safety from the outside of the pen. Zach was a victim of a hoarding situation where he spent his first 20 plus years being neglected and mistreated. The sanctuary/rescue deemed him non rehomeable due to him attacking his “foster/adoptive parents”. Zach is a handful to say the least. He will go after anyone in the house. This also includes movies and tv programs that don’t suit his taste. He is learning to tolerate the husband and even has shown affection to the Implet. Though he can still be a wholesome butthole our house loves little PitToo.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Those are great stories! You implet must be your daughter? It's sweet that he picked her - someone small (?) and not as scary.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing. It's great that Shasta and Zach are now with you and your family in a loving home. Sad that so many years of their life were spent being uncared for and mistreated.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Both of these stories made me so happy! :loveshower:

I am continually surprised by the infinite ways humans mistreat animals. I am glad that Shasta and Zach have found their forever home with your family. :grouphug3:

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
It's amazing how "difficult" birds aren't when they find the right people. I'm glad these 2 found your home. :)
Both of these stories made me so happy! :loveshower:

I am continually surprised by the infinite ways humans mistreat animals. I am glad that Shasta and Zach have found their forever home with your family. :grouphug3:
All but two of my flock members come from terrible backgrounds.
Here is Shasta and Zach.

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:dreamyeyes:'Toos have the cutest face fluff. :xflove:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so happy that you took these two birds in! I love how Shasta picked you daughter.:heart: