• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The secret to getting us to eat our chop is...

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
...to serve it in the BLUE foodbowl of course! We know there are two bowls but it tastes better in the BLUE one!!! Obviously mother!

IMG_20190915_092806.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Blue. Again with the blue. When Tau is out the first thing he visits is the blue water silo in the play area. He proper cuddles up to it and sings for half an hour before he goes foraging then visits again on the way back to his cage.
I know certain colours can be triggers for our feathered children, but blue?

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How odd! I'll have to try out an experiment of some kind! It's so bizarre because the other food bowl is literally right next to it but they only eat from it when the other is hogging the blue one!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Experiment 1: I have the exact same bowl in red, so I put that right next to the blue one. There's still a clear preference for the blue one! Several times I have caught Mabel waiting for Jeff to finish with the blue one, rather than using the red!

For my next experiment I'll swap the position round, maybe the fact that the blue one has a view outside could be a factor?

Attachments

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I've never tried blue bowls, but if I serve anything in my little red hard plastic ramikens Angel immediately dumps his then runs around to dump and drag back to his cage everyone else's too! Had to quit using them for obvious reasons! Lol
20190302_205202.jpg

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I've never tried blue bowls, but if I serve anything in my little red hard plastic ramikens Angel immediately dumps his then runs around to dump and drag back to his cage everyone else's too! Had to quit using them for obvious reasons! Lol
View attachment 315841

Oh I used to hear that noise....cling...bang...
that's the sound of the food bowl being tossed!
I look in on them and say... " what!?! You didn't like it??? "
You don't hear the bang if it's something they like.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 315841
What a cheeky little bird! That red ramekin has somehow managed to mortally offend him!
:lol:

On the other hand, I did just witness Jeff straddle both bowls and alternate which one he ate from :rofl:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Oh I used to hear that noise....cling...bang...
that's the sound of the food bowl being tossed!
I look in on them and say... " what!?! You didn't like it??? "
You don't hear the bang if it's something they like.
I know that sound all too well! I thought I was the only one who got bowls of food thrown at them! Lol

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@EkkieLu

MC pitches his little bowls when he's done with the food. Beaks then and they're gone.

Secret recently grabbed hers with her foot to try the same throw.

Yeesh.

I tried the huge plastic ones in place of the stainless steel but yeah, he managed to sling those too.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use a small coop bowl during the rare times when he's eating @ his cage. The Orange 20190923_184827~2.jpg zip tie helps hold it, because he often steps on it from his water to his rummage seed bowl which un-zip tied can cause him to fall or hurr his leg. My Dad had it this way for him & I tried to use the seed bowl for wet, but alas, only in a coop cup when in the cage. Please excuse the mess, Mom's trying to take it easy today...