• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the Rescue of a Budgie

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
Dee, the avian rescue person, got a call from animal control to pick up a budgie that had been caged with 4 other parrots (parrots can and often kill caged budgies). I do not know the circumstances they were living in but another sanctuary took the parrots and Dee took the budgie. She was telling me about him driving home. I asked her if she could just bring him on to me and let me be his guardian and hopefully adopt him. She said...sure..and I now have him in my home under quarantine for 30 days. I wanted an even number of budgies so I feel it was meant to be. He is beautiful and I call him "Cappy" because of the large white spot on the back of his head.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just keep an eye for an underbite while the top beak grows out. Doesn't look like it'll be a problem to me as long as he's eating okay. That is one nice looking dominant pied you have there. You're both so lucky ;)

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Just keep an eye for an underbite while the top beak grows out. Doesn't look like it'll be a problem to me as long as he's eating okay. That is one nice looking dominant pied you have there. You're both so lucky ;)
He does eat well...what would I look for in an underbite? Also does his beak look like it is not too short for the end to grow back as normal?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@meheartbirds It should grow out may take a while but next thing you know it'll be back.
An underbite is where the lower beak grows out and over the upper beak. That Is quick to happen as the lower beak grows faster than the upper. It looks though as if the lower beak is 'tucking' nicely inside the upper so should be fine. If you do get an underbite it's easy for a vet to trim back, only takes a minute. I've also seen a few parrots do well with an underbite with a regular trim.
Don't worry about it, just keep an eye on it.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
@meheartbirds It should grow out may take a while but next thing you know it'll be back.
An underbite is where the lower beak grows out and over the upper beak. That Is quick to happen as the lower beak grows faster than the upper. It looks though as if the lower beak is 'tucking' nicely inside the upper so should be fine. If you do get an underbite it's easy for a vet to trim back, only takes a minute. I've also seen a few parrots do well with an underbite with a regular trim.
Don't worry about it, just keep an eye on it.
Thank you Linden! I have an appointment with the Avian vet next week to have him thoroughly checked.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I feel blessed to have adopted such a wonderful budgie! I had no idea how he was going to look except for a fuzzy pic but I told Dee who rescued him not to go home with him but drive him right over to me. She did and I am so glad. I am his guardian for now until the tests and he are all good. Then he is a proud member of the family. I took him to the vet today and she feels his beak has a good chance of growing back because his epithelial (?) layer was still there. She said the wound does not look like a fresh wound because there is no sign or redness/bleeding and probably happened a few months ago. We sent a pic of him to an expert on knowing the sex of birds and she gave us a LOT of info!

"You have a male clearflight dominant pied blue series bird....probably a dark factor. You can tell dominant pieds by that band of base color on their bellies (although it can be big or small). and the patch of base colored feathers on the backs of their heads (see his little patch of white).

I am so happy for him! I also told the vet that he has been eating well as evidenced by a good amount of daily poop. The vet also said to feed him softer food due to beak issues and I replied that I have been also giving him bird bread, so she was happy about that. He got an otherwise clean bill of health, poop tested normal. She loved his looks!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
He is a beauty for sure. Yes, he kind of looks like that Beluga.... and I thought he looked like he is smiling with his little beak less pointed.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking him into your home.