• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The rehoming birds are all out of my state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terasa

Moving in
Real Name
Terasa
I haven't found much in this area for rehoming birds, am rather new to this site. I would like to find out more, if possible rehome a bird, and help somewhere that could use a hand. I'm fairly new to Valley Center .ca. 92082. And haven't found much on birds in this area. There are a few sanctuaries that are free flight and tend to provide forever homes, which is wonderful, but are too far for me to travel to help out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can't help but I'm sure someone will chime in.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
If you're not opposed to adopting a rehomed bird off Craigslist, that could be an option. There are some wonderful birds on there. That's where I adopted my tiel from and she is an amazing bird.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I haven't found much in this area for rehoming birds, am rather new to this site. I would like to find out more, if possible rehome a bird, and help somewhere that could use a hand. I'm fairly new to Valley Center .ca. 92082. And haven't found much on birds in this area. There are a few sanctuaries that are free flight and tend to provide forever homes, which is wonderful, but are too far for me to travel to help out. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Consider contacting local vets and maybe any pet/pet supply stores. Though the sanctuaries are too far for you to travel, I'd still suggest you contact them; they may know or have contacts with people or organizations closer to you. Not everyone advertises their location/organization to avoid bird thefts and birds being dumped at their location.

Terasa

Moving in
Real Name
Terasa
Been looking on the internet
Lots of breeders, but most of them require shipping. Which I know nothing about, and for some reason makes me nervous. I did find 2 parrolets at a shelter about 10 miles from here owner unable to care for them. Also 12 baby parakeets with cage for $75, but my luck I'd not be able to get rid of any of them and have a house full of para,sets! Don't have a clue how to build an aviary! So I'd appreciate any feedback on shipping birds, most were from an ad "ad birds now" and "hobbly c.assified" Wnat about a pet STORE

I know so e should be avoided, I buy everything on line but is there a chain STORE that's ok? This area is small and has no private.y owned pet stores
Another ,missive, sorry.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Parrotlets are great little birds.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had my bird shipped to me. I found his ad first on birdbreeders.com then saw it again a few months later on hoobly.com. Granted, hoobly makes me skeptical, and I think I lucked out, but it was the first time I ever had an animal shipped to me. I was nervous and doubtful at times, but the person came through. Would I do it again? Probably, but only if I've exhausted all resources from local shelters, which was the case. I contacted local breeders and rescues but everything was out of my price range, and most were babies, which I didn't really want. The ones that weren't babies were already spoken for, so I resorted to online, which turned out well in my favor.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You do have to make sure the person who is shipping is not just a scammer. Super low prices, shipping eggs, payment by Western Union, "worldwide shipping" are all red flags

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I've seen plenty of ads about birds in need in California. CA and Florida seem to be the two states with the most rehomed birds unfortunately. :( I would certainly recommend rescuing a bird since there are so many who need homes that have been passed around a lot and need a place to land. I'm sorry there's none in your area you can volunteer at or adopt from, I would say you should contact some of the closest rescues to see if they know of any legitimate ads or birds in need of rehoming in your area. I would definitely steer clear of chain pet stores, they already get enough business and there's lots of rescues and breeders all around California so you have plenty of options. What types of birds are you looking to give a home to? I'm sure we could help you find somebirdy in need if you have a specific species or group of parrots you're looking to adopt.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've seen plenty of ads about birds in need in California. CA and Florida seem to be the two states with the most rehomed birds unfortunately. :(
I would say this has a lot to do with the fact that So-Cal and Florida have "great" weather for breeding birds year round... plus both states are big importation states so it was easy to get access to wild caught birds shipped in... so naturally, there are many breeders in both states.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@Terasa If you choose to obtain a rehomed bird please be careful.

Craigslist is allowing rehoming scams in each state. People are posting ads for animals not just birds in one city. When you contact them, they question your location. Then they state the animal is in yet another location. They claim they can ship the animal to you but you must pay the fee by WesternUnion, Moneygram and the like. Basically they will not accept any secure payment method that will allow your money to be recouped in the case of a scam.

Macaws have been posted in Mississippi but they claimed they were located in Texas. Or posted in Louisiana but located in Newark, New Jersey. All required a shipping fee of at minimum $300. Be wary!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Terasa If you choose to obtain a rehomed bird please be careful.

Craigslist is allowing rehoming scams in each state. People are posting ads for animals not just birds in one city. When you contact them, they question your location. Then they state the animal is in yet another location. They claim they can ship the animal to you but you must pay the fee by WesternUnion, Moneygram and the like. Basically they will not accept any secure payment method that will allow your money to be recouped in the case of a scam.

Macaws have been posted in Mississippi but they claimed they were located in Texas. Or posted in Louisiana but located in Newark, New Jersey. All required a shipping fee of at minimum $300. Be wary!
And sadly, these are really African/Cameroon scams... :(

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@Monica If the ad is written in a manner that appears they can barely speak English I would agree. I have found a few who were not. Unfortunately, most of the ads appear in cities near our military bases. That alone gives me enough of a reason to go after them. I do my best to expose them all.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@NYCAmazon2 - they are getting smarter. Some are going as far as copying and pasting an add and just changing a few details... hence you'll find birds up to date on shots, neutered/spayed, etc.

The *really* smart ones will even take a still image from a video so you can't search the image and it appears more legit.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@Monica I noticed that. I think the dumbest ones post ads with a B&G listed twice in it. Yet the ad was written for a Husky which is listed three more times in the same ad. It’s because they’re reusing an ad they used to scam those desperate to buy a Husky.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
All of our current birds are from CL. We've been very fortunate, but it can take months of sitting through the scammers. It's exhausting.

I also like RescueMe.org, but unfortunately they only group by state with no way to sort within the state; good have to look through the location listed at the bottom of each listing to see if they're near you. Luckily with birds the aren't so many to sift through.

You could also try Petfinder though they don't usually have many bird listings, at least not by me. Most of the ones out here have been geese or chickens. :blink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.