• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Real Truth: Sleep Needs in Parrots (by Pamela Clark)

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
A recent thread in the cockatoo forum referenced an article by Pamela Clark. Since that article, I have been eagerly reading everything else on her blog. This adventure led to the discovery of a thought provoking article about sleep requirements in parrots. (It was especially interesting given I recently asked about creating a healthy sleep schedule.) I would encourage others to read it if you have any concerns or are just curious.

A quote from the article:
"Perhaps it’s time to remember how much we don’t know about the parrots with whom we live. Familiarity does not necessarily bring knowledge. And it does us all a disservice to repeat unconditional, absolute, explicit statements about their needs that are based solely on thinking rooted in assumption. Further, that statement about sleep has been repeated so often that it has limited our vision. It’s a dead end to further investigation and discussion."

Edit: Here is the link to the article:
The Real Truth: Sleep Needs in Parrots – Pamela Clark, CPBC

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for sharing. That's a very interesting article. I also liked learning about a parrot's need to roost. Without know that's what we were doing, I have been doing this with Elvis. He and I have quiet time (him in his cage, me reading a book beside him) for about 45 minutes before I cover him. He preens, beak grinds, etc and it seems to help him sleep much better than before when I would simply just cover him.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was a very interesting article, TY for sharing it!!! Buddy is w/ me in the evening & I started a "10 minute warning" that lasts LOL about 20-30 minutes before bed. Buddy goes to bed in a travel cage @ night. He takes me up to bed in "parronts" room so he can get up w/ Dad if he wants. Anyway, I'd like to just add he's got access to food & water in there.

My point was about this 10 minutes thing. I started it because it seemed that his playing time seemed to get in the way of his "roosting" time before bed. I equivilated it to the 5 year old kid & the 1 more drink of water concept/story in my head. I didn't think of it logically for a bird by calling it roosting, just knew there was a communication problem. I figured Buddy knows/understands "Our human" language, even tho he barely speaks it (5 words). He knows, kind of... what counting is... We're in the intro stage of it. The 10 finger countdown became a bed time thing. Now Buddy's almost always ready for bed unless I did the count to fast (yes, sometimes he gets 5 more minutes) or he's just in the mood to play a game of chase all around his big cage/nest, that's only useful for safety, these days.

I found this, repetative nature to night time schedules good. Thank you very much @JLcribber :p The Bird Whisper who's always been right in my book! :p He told me house schedules for birdy's are very important!!! He was very correct. Buddy's made a ton of progress on things w/ a schedule that's (almost) perfect daily/nightly. On nights when it isn't, Buddy bounces right back into schedule w/ a minimum of grouchyness. Thanks for the articles explanation of roosting!

I will occasionally check on him in the middle of the night. I will physically get him up, let him poop, kiss his beak, let him get a scritch from Dad & put him back to bed.

Why, it's so off schedule, you may say... ?

Because, birds are resilient, they will bounce back to bed, & go back to sleep. Everyone needs a little extra love! Birds do forgive the bad things we do. They are almost too forgiving sometimes, just in this case, it's about giving a scritch & getting a kiss!

Nice to meet you @M&M Ninja ! Welcome to AA! :cool6:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I believe I have a healthy routine and new birds have no trouble setting their own body clocks to match.
During the day, as well as having the curtains open the lights over the cages and the play area are on constantly, emulating a sunny day. Midday I swap these lights to full spectrum lamps for an hour, then back. Come 19:45 I close the curtains and turn the main light on on it's lowest setting. The birds learn this as a signal that night is coming. 20:00 the cage lights go off leaving the play area and main light [SUNSET]. 20:15 the lights over the play area go off, leaving the main light and the night lights that have switched themselves on [DUSK]. At 20:30 I turn the main light off leaving just the nightlights [NIGHT].
My birds seem to adjust easily to this routine. When they spot the main light come on they know they have plenty of time to top their crops up for the night and grab that final drink. By the time the play area lights go off they are already comfortable in their roosts. It's as close to nature as I can get it, and I've never had a problem getting a bird settled for the night with minimum interaction. They bounce out of bed with maximum energy in the AM and drive me crazy calling for food:bounce3:
Pam's articles are always good reading. This one especially so.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This was a great read. Roosting time is when my birds are the most chatty. Not screaming, just sweet little mumbles and experimental vocalisations. I love this time. I chat with them during this time too.

This is a very special time for me and the birdies. I find myself learning their noises and I just sound like a crazy person ;) cheep cheep blurp burp dee dee ...chee

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Great article, thanks for sharing :)

I give my birds a “10 minute warning” that lasts 20-30 minutes too lol I start taking out any hanging veg, filling bowls for early morning snack and tell them to get ready for night night. They always go right up to their high perch together and preen etc. Then, when they’re comfy and beak grinding etc I sing their lullaby. It’s my favorite time of day :)

I liked reading everyone else’s routines too, so fun :highfive:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm glad you shared this article. The only thing that I somewhat didn't agree with, at least for my bird, was this:

"If a parrot is “cranky” and non-compliant, it’s more likely to reflect a lack of training, rather than fatigue. A well-trained parrot will step up and respond to other cues whether tired or not."

My cockatiel absolutely gets grumpy when she's overtired. She reaches a point when it's time for bed every night where she doesn't want any scritches, and will nip if she thinks I'm going to give her some. (As soon as I realize this, I never push her by trying to). She never acts that way otherwise. There are times where she would rather not be pet, but she's a lot more patient and gentle about letting me know. It was a great article regardless. My tiel might just be an exception to that when it comes to crankiness when overtired. She still steps up easily though, even when overtired. :)

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I'm glad you shared this article. The only thing that I somewhat didn't agree with, at least for my bird, was this:

"If a parrot is “cranky” and non-compliant, it’s more likely to reflect a lack of training, rather than fatigue. A well-trained parrot will step up and respond to other cues whether tired or not."

My cockatiel absolutely gets grumpy when she's overtired. She reaches a point when it's time for bed every night where she doesn't want any scritches, and will nip if she thinks I'm going to give her some. (As soon as I realize this, I never push her by trying to). She never acts that way otherwise. There are times where she would rather not be pet, but she's a lot more patient and gentle about letting me know. It was a great article regardless. My tiel might just be an exception to that when it comes to crankiness when overtired. She still steps up easily though, even when overtired. :)
I absolutely agree with you. Jojo is a very happy, friendly birb but after 8 pm she doesn’t like me putting my hands anywhere near her! During the day she jumps on my hand almost every time I put it in the cage- but after 8 I get “warning beeps” even though she knows every night I take out any leftover food etc ... It is 100% nighttime crankiness, so I try to be quick and stay as far away as possible;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
@AutumnRain I agree, my tiels want bedtime starting at 6:30, and if I’m later than 7:00 they start getting very mad. They won’t eat, they fake bite (they don’t ever really bite), and they start flying all around in an anxious panic. Sure, they might step up, but they let me know in no uncertain terms its bedtime and I’m late!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella and I have a night time ritual. When it is around her bedtime, she asks for night-time scritches. Then when she has had enough, I put her into her cage where she will roost for about an hour, then it is lights out. When I don't have to get up too early, Bella is good about letting me sleep in. She roosts almost every night and I didn't realize how important it is for her. Great article!