• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The quest for a Zane-proof collar

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
A measurement from his neck to his vent lengthwise, around is midsection right under his wings and approximately how big around you need his "collar" portion to be. I'd say give me three or four weeks to finish it completely, complete with spare distractions and fiddling with best 'toy' placement

My thoughts since he has wing problems are to style this exactly like an apron with nothing but straps down his back to hold it in place. Since plucking and mutilation are often due to frustration... The more distracting bright colors and sounds and varied textures you have the more he will be discouraged from ripping it up. Ill likely need a good sturdy fabric and line it with fleece for the comfort factor... And with crinkle paper on the inside. That worked the the hahns he got so distracted by the SOUND that the straps made that he was gentle with it wanting to hear the noise xD

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sure that would helpful :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A bit of an update on the collar. He's doing so well with his new collar. And his wound continues to get better. I can't wait until Tuesday when we can make it even better.
It is rather big but he coped with so well. Here he is eating a carrot with in on. And a couple of Echo eating a green bean too 20171007_191901.jpg 20171007_191856.jpg 20171007_191833.jpg 20171007_191952.jpg 20171007_191944.jpg

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Nice

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm so glad! :smileflower:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:omg: I think we did it!!! I think we actually have a Zane proof collar!!! :excited1:
Zane went to see Chris the lady who made the collar to see about getting alterations made to it. First we thought about add adding a stretchy turtleneck but we scrap that idea for now. We decided to go back to an old design because he can't really hurt this fabric. Chris was sooo nice, really wanted it to be comfortable for Zane so she adding some soft fleecey material to the neck part and around the edge of the collar too. I really think this is going to work. :bliss::cloud9::bliss:

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope it works! Zane is so cute, his expression in that second to the last picture is adorable!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I hope it works! Zane is so cute, his expression in that second to the last picture is adorable!
Thanks :D I really think it will. I haven't seen him damage this fabric yet!! And while Zane prefers to be collar-free he is quite content with his new collar :swoon:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He is so cute and actually looks a little proud of his new "clothing".

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He is so cute and actually looks a little proud of his new "clothing".
He actually does seem happy to me. Sometimes he can get moody and a little depressed with new collars especially if he's not able to get them at first. This one made him the most depressed
P1020102.JPG

But not this one he's happy and its definitely staying on and he can't get at himself. I'd like to do slimmer down version for him If I can get more fabric. I haven't heard from the fabric guy Don in awhile but I hoping he's just busy.

The only really complaint I have about it is it's somewhat bulky. Still he been grooming, and of course eating and drinking just fine with it. I'm so happy with it!!

Chris his tailor :hehe: In reality she does boat covers and Interiors is so nice and she did everything for free. Which so sweet of her. She's just like pay it forward. :) She's not a bird person but really likes Zane. She was so concern that Zane was comfortable. And is up fixing anything that needs fixing. At one point I ask if she wanted to keep the collar for a bit while we trying figuring out how to improve it as I still had 2 from the vets. But she was like nope he's not going in plastic again. :D

You can tell I'm really happy with it as I babbling on!
:pinklol2::blahblah::fairy2:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
First over night test and it went extremely well. He didn't even do that much damage to the soft neck lining. There one hole maybe two but that's it!! I'm kind of in disbelief over it. :shocking:I've dreamt of this day for what feels like forever. It's such a nice feeling not dreading opening the door to the birdroom worrying what he might have done to himself. I love it but it still feels kinda of weird. I've lost so many battles trying to get him so he won't hurt himself. But this time I feel like I've won the war.
20171011_133016.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It takes time and lots of trial and error to circumvent those birds. The guy who built my bird room had to make several tries to combat Hank's destructiveness. He finally got it done, but the bird was definitely smarter than us.

Congratulations.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I hope congratulations is not too premature. I love that picture of Zane and Echo. It looks like Echo likes the collar.