• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The quest for a Zane-proof collar

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Zane - for crying out loud, don't be such a pain in the patooty
That's what I keep telling him. He's such little brat sometimes ;)

Maybe try putting one of his old thin, soft ones underneath and move the buckles to the back?
Hmmmm... something to think about... I think it's too hot to it now :(

I think the clasps were a mistake :( I should have struck with the C links. He can undo them but it takes him awhile. Part of the problem with the clasps have such a small hole for the fabric that they are not as strong as the other side with the O rings. I think it can be fixed thou.

Yeesh he does like to make things difficult :confused:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Round 3!! I have the tougher fabric and all the supplies. I just found someone with an industrial sewing machine. (I thought I had someone already but it turns out she didn't have one.) The only thing is she's half an hour way. But that isn't that big of a deal, it just means it might take a bit longer. But things are moving forward so I'm happy :D

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
My thought was UHMW plastic which is in the snowmoble industy highly durable takes alot to destroy. I asked my fav person a bit ago in the biz if he thought if a circle of the material would be too heavy for the babe to wear. I worked for him for 22 years and he was intimate with Whitney my U2 and knows the weight of a U2 but I stated this babe is a bit bigger. :D He told me would look into what the weight would be and that was biggest question due to knowing what the material was and how durable it is...

Your issue has always been on my mind. :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Ooohh UHMW plastic that could be promising. Hopefully this collar will won't make it necessary.

Your issue has always been on my mind. :)
That's very sweet. Thank you :) I'm always very touched when people show concern or interest in Zane's well being. :) AA is such a wonderful place for that. It's nice to know so many people are rooting for Zane :hug9:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
20171003_185833.jpg
This is Zane's new collar. It sort of works. We try to made so there was no snaps or parts to chews. The opening is just big enough to get his head through. The problem is that it too loose once it on.... but I'm at lost of what to do with fasteners.. I need something he can't break or undo... I given snaps but the lady made wasnt able to them through the fabric. That how tough the fabric is. I'm not sure what to do now....

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Oh the lady made the was really nice. She a tool where I could use to cut a frisbee. So that's an option

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
1. Upholstery thread: Amazon.com: COATS & CLARK Extra Strong Upholstery Thread, 150-Yard, Natural

2. Kevlar thread: Kevlar Thread Guide

It seems the thread is available. Cordura is the strongest fabric I could think of but it seems you got a hold of LocTote. I've used the upholstery thread for making a body suit for my puppy when he had surgery. I used velcro to fit it on him (he's was 3lbs at the time, now 5). They were going to use a cast because he tore through his stitches and we had to have the wound stapled. In order for him to not lick the wound, we tore up a bag, glue gunned the velcro and stitched using the fabric upholstery thread. I hand sewed much of it as the glue gun would pull it apart, and the thread it kept jamming my machine. We used stretch fabric panels (from some old leggings) in between to allow for breathing space. The velcro was stiff enough to keep it straight on his back without it slipping around, but that was for a puppy. I am not a very good sewer but I'm arts and crafts (sometimes) and he looked funny but it worked.

I try to catch up with Zane to see how he is doing. Glad he is doing better! Please keep us posted! Thank you!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Good news!! The lady who sew the collar for Zane is thinking she can add turtleneck to it. So that's awesome :bliss:
:bounce1::bounce4::bounce1:

Now there's a solution that might work!! :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Oh I hope she can and I hope it works.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
It looks like Tuesday will be the for the collar alterations. I'm excited about it. The lady who does it is so nice and really knows what she's doing. This is her weirdest request of all :glowlol:

Zane's wound is really showing improvement now. It stills looks raw but it's flat and I didn't notice much scar tissue round it. So that's a great sign :D

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Have you tried a vest instead of a collar?
I have. It was going real well until Zane decided he could just pick his armpit/wingpit area. He damaged his wing to the point he could no longer fully extend his wing. Thankfully I found a vet who was able to do surgery to fix it. Since then I been gun shy about using vests. It has been years thou if this doesn't work I might go back to try vests again. :)

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I have a pattern that might do you some good. You don't have to pull the wing through this version but it distracts the bird FROM the collar or the vest with a bunch of... 'toys'.
Basically think a 'lions' mane made of sproingy shoelaces... beads... and twisted soft fluffy fabric They dont' think to Chew it... rather they 'preen it' as if pulling on one part will make the vest come off.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
That sounds good. Zane did have a collar with fleece stripes on it. 20160812_152538.jpg
He chewed through the stripes pretty good. He's pretty good chewing through things. This what he did to another collar 20160908_153955.jpg 20160908_153841.jpg

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie

A basic idea. I've seen them made for macaw's before... if the fabric is bunched up enough you don't need a hard base, you just need like... honestly?
I'd say 10 layers of fleece, add in boingy shoe laces... and beads over the vest part. Its made to button up the back.

If you give me his measurements I could make one for you if you like.

The idea is not to give them something to chew on... but something to distract them. Porter had five different ones when he started mutilating his wings. He stopped after we found the basic problem.. but he'd spend HOURS preening the thing around his neck, lol... and its built to be able to do stuff a little more easily in. For Zane I'd say make him look like victorian royalty.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks that's a really sweet offer :) Do you think I could pattern off you instead? Then I wouldn't have worry about shipping. It would be good to have if this collar doesn't work. I really hoping this will work and its looking promising :)

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Ill pay shipping XD
If this works I can always make them for others too
I don't really have patterns the ones I've made in the past are specific to each birds needs but once I've made it I always send an unmade 'cut to specifications version lol

Largest bird I made one for though is a hahns macaw

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you!! That's very generous of you!! :heart::hug8::heart:
I'll have to get his measurements for you. What kind do you need? Across his chest?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Or I could come up with a pattern and make suggestions XD
I think of these vest aprons as ... Well wearable play stands as varied in material as possible with loops that can attach light things to it