• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The quest for a Zane-proof collar

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Such a touching story. I hope this works. Will you be sewing this by hand?
I hope so too. No I'm getting some one else to sew it with a sewing machine. And while it hard to cut its easy to sew :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I got the thread today. Unfortunately it's not quite what I was looking for. It is very strong but can be cut by scissors :( But I think it will work well for for most of it. And I brought some fishing line which I hope can be hand sewn for the more vulnerable parts. The downside is it means more waiting. The waiting is hard :grumpy:

Zane went through another collar the other day but he went a week with leaving it alone which is pretty good for him. His wound is slowly getting smaller. Everything seems to be going so slow but at least there is still a plan and things are still moving in the right direction.:)

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Would it matter if he can't get access to the stitching? Or have it sewn in such a way he needs to chew away the fabric around the stitching ie: blind seams and/or flat seams and copious use of bar tacking?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Would it matter if he can't get access to the stitching? Or have it sewn in such a way he needs to chew away the fabric around the stitching ie: blind seams and/or flat seams and copious use of bar tacking?
Sorry I don't sew so I'm don't know what all that means. What I can tell you from his last collar there were parts that he couldn't get at the thread. I want to say the inner seams? I'm not sure if that's the right term.

The biggest problem area is where the collar opens. That's where chew through last time. Plus he chewed through the loops holding the things I used to close it. This what the collar looked like before he chewed through it.
20170516_133331.jpg 20170516_133402.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll mention them to the lady who sew it for me :)

redindiaink

Avenue Veteran
A blind seam is what we use for skirt and pant hems so the stitching doesn't show to the front. Bar tacking is a zig zag stitching really close together, and is typically used at the base of the zipper on jeans, or the corners of pockets. Button holes. Flat seams are usually found on the inside seam of jeans.

I was thinking about the opening. Would it pose a problem if the collar wrapped around their neck more than once? Kinda of like the wing of Da Vinci's aerial screw?

Or put on him upside down so he can't reach the loops holding everything in place? Maybe if he can't see them he won't know to play with them.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I like the idea of putting it on upside down to hide the temptation.
My tip from sewing happy huts for my Hahns - using the mending stitch (which is like a zigzag but with several stitches to each leg of the zig and zag) and a short stitch length......I have found that if I go over the edges he likes to sit and chew, and go over them several times it becomes harder and more difficult for him to really cause any damage to it. Lasts much longer than an "untreated" edge.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I thought about having the loops face down. The main problem with that is i worry about the metal bits irritating his wound. The way it's make it reversible. So I can play around with that.

[QUOTE="redindiaink, post: 2641934, member: 20542"
I was thinking about the opening. Would it pose a problem if the collar wrapped around their neck more than once? Kinda of like the wing of Da Vinci's aerial screw?

Or put on him upside down so he can't reach the loops holding everything in place? Maybe if he can't see them he won't know to play with them.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about having it overlapping more this time. I can't do it as much as an aerial screw but I think overlapping it more would be helpful. :) Thank you for all the explanation

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I guess he would still be able to reach it if it opened in the back? I wouldn't but the links on the inside against him either. Wouldn't be comfortable at all, even without the wound. Blind stitches to the inside might work if it is the stitching that attracts him to chew it. Or he might just chew through the material if he really just wants it off. Do you give him a break every day to work on pin feathers and give him scritches where he can't reach with the collar on?
Before I got Darwin he was in a collar recovering from a broken wing. I visited him every week and would spend 1.5-2 hours just rubbing his head and neck. He was so itchy from the collar being on and enjoyed his out of collar time.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I try help him with his pin feathers. What hard about giving him out of collar time is he seems to taking off his collar more when I take his collar off everyday. So it's tricky. He is over due for a bath so I think I'll do that tomorrow. I do spray him daily even with his collar on. It's awkward for him to preen with his collar on. But he can a bit and it does seem to help.

I've updated Don the guy who is helping me with the fabric. He's really nice and is sending up some Kevlar thread to try too. So that's awesome. It's really nice people rallying around Zane. :heart: I feel like it has a real shot at working if I can just get the thread sorted out. :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If you put it on upside down with the metal bits on the inside, could you layer a thin, soft collar under to keep the metal away from him?

redindiaink

Avenue Veteran
If you put it on upside down with the metal bits on the inside, could you layer a thin, soft collar under to keep the metal away from him?
Was thinking the same and use some velcro to hold it in place, but I might be over engineering it.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
A bit of an update. All the pieces have finally came in and a new collar is going to be made probably this weekend. It's going to be made bigger and with stronger thread and some other tweaks too. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks to everyone who helped out :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
The collar came in today :) So far it's working and I think frustrating the he!! out of him. It's kind of on the ridiculous big side but unfortunately that's what it takes to stop him. The over night test will be a good indicator if it will work longer term. I'll let you guys know.
20170801_115122.jpg

20170801_115115.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope it works! He's so cute, that last picture is like, "What the...?!"

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I hope it works! He's so cute, that last picture is like, "What the...?!"
Thanks! :) You are so right he's totally going "What the....?!" :lol: 4 hours down and it's still on. :highfive: He had a real go at it when first put it on him. I feel bad cause I haven't him out much today because I have a migraine today. But even with that it is still staying :D

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Well... he broke one of the clasps I got for it. They were supposed to be stainless steel. And he starting on the loops that hold the clasps too :bash:Its such a shame because the rest of the collar holds up so well. The main problem is finding a way to keep it close. Hopefully it make it through the night. I was able to use, what are they called a C link, to replace the clasp.

Oh Zane you are so frustrating sometimes... what I'm going to do with you?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Can it be flipped over so the clasps are underneath?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
The only problem with that is that I'd worry about them rubbing against his wound. Or else I would

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Zane - for crying out loud, don't be such a pain in the patooty

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Maybe try putting one of his old thin, soft ones underneath and move the buckles to the back?