• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Practical Pionus- please help

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome! :bliss::bliss::bliss:
And you are so brave! :jawdrop1: A new book and you are letting Leto be close to it! :wideyed: :D :toyou: for that adorable pic!
:hehe: He's a good boy :D I'm happy you enjoyed the pic :xflove:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Awesome! :bliss::bliss::bliss:
And you are so brave! :jawdrop1: A new book and you are letting Leto be close to it! :wideyed: :D :toyou: for that adorable pic!
Totally agree about adorable photo!!!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Practical Pionus is still available. See The Practical Pionus

The book ships with a video CD that is not available from those selling used copies.
Yes. That is how I got it but they did not respond to any of my emails or requests. I only got my book by sending a check to the address on the site.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Says they will send a invoice to paypal addy if you want to pay by credit card...Are they still shipping books?

Lara608

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lara
I bought mine new off of eBay a month or two ago and the book was sent by Russ and included the picture CD. (In case you want to use a credit card...)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Checked ebay there are none.
I put some $ in checking account. I guessI prefer the faster credit card order as they just ship it wihout the old fashiioned mail & checks.

Looking into a pionus someday & its been said this is the book to get.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
It is the book to get and he just has a great way of telling his stories anyways. I've had Pionus since before that book came out and was always looking for ANY info on them as I'd never seen them before I got Ferd and Nerd in 78.

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I love this book. If anyone is wondering whether it is worth it I would say go for it! It has been a while and I forget where I got mine now?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You still thinking about a Pionus or just still like them and want to read up on them and all the good stories and info that should apply to any parrot. I sure wish he was still active working with them but at least he still sells the original books. Jan had a bunch for awhile but pretty sure she sold out a while ago and is winding things down now.
He was planning a second edition but doubt it will ever happen now.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Russ emailed & shipped the book 2 day priority!!!

I do think that his info as well as some of the diet could still be applicable to a hawkhead.

I just got Penny & shes really all I ever wanted in a bird so no at this point I am thinking I'm done as I am short of space & funds!!!

She was a good hit on my limited budget but she did come with a nice cage & vet bill was OK & normal but she 21 yo & with age there can be more health issues & need to prepare.

I would adore a baby bronze wing & was inches away from securing one with deposit but the bird would have been ready shortly after my cancer surgery & how could I set up a cage & give myself to a baby bird during that time & then the chemo so I let that baby go...

No plans for another bird or pionus but never say never...Still I think I am done & won the bird lottery twice now & not wanting to push my luck!!!

I am no spring chicken myself & now I have birds that if we are both lucky we will spend out lives together & I'm maxed out at 30/40 years as I'd be 90 to 100!

:angelic:

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well like I said before I was hoping it would be Lurch and I in our walkers together and now it will have to be Dobby and I. I really enjoyed reading my copy and his writing and story telling style is great and I agree I think a lot of it will apply to Penny or any other medium sized parrot and you'll get the picture cd/dvd as well so that's a bonus.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have a cockatiel book, conure & a poi book but this should round it out & was reading pionus diet is not so far off of hawkhead so its a med bird reference & I like pionus so maybe it will fill in from the others.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I think pionus eat up the corn fields like a plague hit in Ecuador
My WCP loves corn on the cob! If it were up to her, that's all she'd eat! Luckily, it's not.:roflmao:

I can hardly wait for my copy!

Problems are that 1) even Harrison's has this level of protein so most pellets have this much protein 2) My boys will only eat Caitec Oven Fresh Bites (has 15% protein); 3) Roudybush has only 10% protein but my attempts over the years (including a current attempt) to get them to eat Roudybush have failed. They eat veggies/fruit each day but LOVE their Caitec pellets SO I need to learn to limit the pellets more. I think some pellets each day is good
Oh no... I feed mine Harrison's and fresh vegetables with part of a scrambled egg once weekly. Is that a problem? She was on fruity Zupreem.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tracked the book & its scheduled for Wed delivery!!! Wow, I am impressed he sent it priority!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
My WCP loves corn on the cob! If it were up to her, that's all she'd eat! Luckily, it's not.:roflmao:

I can hardly wait for my copy!

Oh no... I feed mine Harrison's and fresh vegetables with part of a scrambled egg once weekly. Is that a problem? She was on fruity Zupreem.
You are fine!