• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Practical Pionus- please help

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of the book called "The Practical Pionus" by Russ Shade. The only copy I see on amazon is being sold for $123 and that is tremendously overpriced. I've sent two emails to the people on the website on the link below. If anybody finds this book, please let me know!

Jan (a vender from here on AA) no longer has any available, just FYI.

The Practical Pionus

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well, that sucks. I'm pretty sure I got my copy on Amazon after one of the members posted a heads up about it. Think I paid about retail shipped but it was in excellent shape.
Pretty sure that overpriced copy was there when I ordered mine. EBay would be a good place to set up a saved search on and I THINK you can do similar on Amazon. Shade seems to sometimes actually sell copies on his site then go away for a while becuase some folks said they got orders in but I never had any luck. Too bad he has quit dealing with Pionus it seems after he got divorced and pretty sure he had to loose his flock they had.
Good luck, too bad Jan ran out, she had everything else including the CD full of pictures the later copies got.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, that sucks. I'm pretty sure I got my copy on Amazon after one of the members posted a heads up about it. Think I paid about retail shipped but it was in excellent shape.
Pretty sure that overpriced copy was there when I ordered mine. EBay would be a good place to set up a saved search on and I THINK you can do similar on Amazon. Shade seems to sometimes actually sell copies on his site then go away for a while becuase some folks said they got orders in but I never had any luck. Too bad he has quit dealing with Pionus it seems after he got divorced and pretty sure he had to loose his flock they had.
Good luck, too bad Jan ran out, she had everything else including the CD full of pictures the later copies got.
Thanks Terry! I appreciate your advice and commiseration! :)

I will set up a saved search on ebay and amazon :)

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I was friends with Russ ob FB but his account is no longer there. I will ask someone who knows him

Last edited:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was friends with Russ ob FB but his account is no longer there. I will ask someone who knows him
That would be super duper great! I'd really appreciate it! :highfive:

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He was on my friends list but now is gone. Did he recently get divorced, Terry?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I don't think so, I read that he and his wife when he was doing all the Pionus stuff had a falling out and got divorced and that's when he kinda moved on. I might be way off but pretty sure that was what I heard or read around. I spose by now he'd be remarried and I know he ran for a political office a while back and pretty sure he's still around, just not really doing birds much anymore.
I hope he's out there and taking a break and gets back into it. His web site for them is still up last I checked but nothing new added for a while.
Pretty sure it was called Fatparrot.com or some variation there of that should get you to it.

Russ Shade | Oracle Corporation | ZoomInfo.com
Pionus Parrots Research Foundation

Last edited:

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
OK I heard back from my friend Adrienne who has Ernie Jr (one of Russ' duskies) and this is what she said

I heard back from Russ. He still has books and he's still selling them through the same ol' web site:
http://www.the-practical-pionus.com/
upload_2016-2-6_19-28-54.png

grin emoticon

The Practical Pionus
upload_2016-2-6_19-28-54.png
If you're like most Pionus parrot owners, or if you're researching a new parrot purchase, you already know…
the-practical-pionus.com

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
When I got my copy about 3 1/2 yrs ago I just sent a check to the address and my book came in a few weeks. I had tried to e-mail first and got no response but figured I would try just sending the money and it worked.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
When I got my copy about 3 1/2 yrs ago I just sent a check to the address and my book came in a few weeks. I had tried to e-mail first and got no response but figured I would try just sending the money and it worked.
Similar experience. It took a couple of times

Great insights into pionus through Mr. Shade's work

Last edited:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK I heard back from my friend Adrienne who has Ernie Jr (one of Russ' duskies) and this is what she said

I heard back from Russ. He still has books and he's still selling them through the same ol' web site:
http://www.the-practical-pionus.com/
View attachment 218267

grin emoticon

The Practical Pionus
View attachment 218268
If you're like most Pionus parrot owners, or if you're researching a new parrot purchase, you already know…
the-practical-pionus.com
Thanks so much! I'll do that then! Send him a check and and hope and pray he sends me a book :)

Thanks again!

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I don't think so, I read that he and his wife when he was doing all the Pionus stuff had a falling out and got divorced and that's when he kinda moved on. I might be way off but pretty sure that was what I heard or read around. I spose by now he'd be remarried and I know he ran for a political office a while back and pretty sure he's still around, just not really doing birds much anymore.
I hope he's out there and taking a break and gets back into it. His web site for them is still up last I checked but nothing new added for a while.
Pretty sure it was called Fatparrot.com or some variation there of that should get you to it.

Russ Shade | Oracle Corporation | ZoomInfo.com
Pionus Parrots Research Foundation

Thanks for this link. I did not know the story behind The Practical Pionus, and found it very interesting. Of special interest is his comment on pelleted diets' possible link to visceral gout. I do find Dobby likes starchy, fatty foods, but he spends his cage time with lots of greens and vegetables hanging, so when I looked at what he is actually eating, it is by far more fruits and veg. He just makes a show of begging and stealing almonds, bread, and when he can, cheese. He has never done more than play with his pellets.

I also did not know that the farmers in Ecuador consider pi's "trash" birds.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I think pionus eat up the corn fields like a plague hit in Ecuador

I need to re read this book again each year. It has good reminders. I remember reading it when I got the boys and saying I will not let my boys eat such and such.

I talked to a few breeders when I was searching for Charlie's breeder to determine what type of pionus he is. Anyway, one breeder warned about pellets with 15% protein and not too many pellets per day. He spoke of losing his pionus too soon due to gout and no longer breeds them.

Problems are that 1) even Harrison's has this level of protein so most pellets have this much protein 2) My boys will only eat Caitec Oven Fresh Bites (has 15% protein); 3) Roudybush has only 10% protein but my attempts over the years (including a current attempt) to get them to eat Roudybush have failed. They eat veggies/fruit each day but LOVE their Caitec pellets SO I need to learn to limit the pellets more. I think some pellets each day is good. But I definitely allow my boys to go over that.

Anyway Russ' book has good reminders on pionus diet

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:yah::woot2::yah:

Sooooooooooooo! I went out on a limb and sent a check to the publisher for the book I've been trying to get my little hands on :present: And I just got it in the mail today about 2 weeks after I sent the check! :birdance:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great!

Matt

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Awesome! Guess he's still running it then and never thought to just send money as the info out there seems like he moved on. I might have to order a official brand new copy just to get the picture CD. You'll enjoy reading all the stories and info, and you have the extra pictures too:highfive:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome! Guess he's still running it then and never thought to just send money as the info out there seems like he moved on. I might have to order a official brand new copy just to get the picture CD. You'll enjoy reading all the stories and info, and you have the extra pictures too:highfive:
Yes! I watch the DVD tonight and it was beautiful! :)

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats! Glad you got a copy.
Hope you enjoy the book. :)